35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It's been awhile since anyone posted one of these so I'll start:

This is what i have learned over the past couple weeks some we are playing with the band and some just for me:

Decode - Paramore ( I'm trying to get my daughter to sing this I know she can tear this one up)
Use somebody - Kings of Leon ( I get to even sing this one woohoo)
Crossroads - Cream
Give it to Me - J Geils Band
Mr. Crowley - Ozzy ( For some reason I like playing this song)
Girls Got Rhythm - AC/DC (Another fun song to play that has energy)
Notion - Kings of Leon (Not sure if I'll pursue this one as I don't think the band will be interested)

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

i'm working on some stuff with my band as well.....

Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
AC/DC - You Shook Me all night long
Jet - Are you gonna be my girl?
Linkin Park - Faint
Cage the Elephant - Ain't no rest for the wicked
Seether - Remedy

some of these songs are ridiculously easy, but they're really upbeat. Seems like you gotta play ACDC if you're in any kind of rock cover band!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

ph0nage,

I hear you. I was never a big fan of AC/DC but ever since I started playing guitar I find most of their songs are very fun/upbeat to play.

Ain't no rest for the wicked seeems like it would be a cool song to play.

I don't know the Seether song but we have been talking about doing their cover of Careless Whisper. They are actually playing a free show next weekend at the the big fair in the area. The Guess Who is playing one this weekend which some of the guys want to go see.

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

yeah. Ain't No rest for the wicked had me skeptical at first. It was a cool song, but i thought it wouldn't sound very good live. I was very pleasantly surprised! sounds great

We might eventually do "use somebody". Seems that song is on every radio station.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Theory:
C major and G major scales and the triads there in.

Songs (in rotation):
Instant Karma
Imagine (that little A hA# B riff gives me aggravation)
Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay
House of the Rising Sun (arpeggio/raking)
Venus (getting back to that B7sus4 from the Em/A in the verses)
You Don't Mess Around With Jim
Come Together

And maybe 10-15 others I bounce around with, trying to get little parts of them perfected.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

My own performance repertoire

Montemayor - Federico Moreno-Torroba
Alba de Tormes - Federico Moreno-Torroba
Everything I do - Bryan Adams
Air on a G string - Bach
Jesu Joy of man's desiring - Bach

Essex Guitar Orchestra music

Drunken Sailor - arranged by Jeremy Sparks - I get to play Guitar 1
Tutu Tango - Derek Hasted - Guitar 2
Pass e' mezzo - arranged by Ian Gammie - Guitar 1
Swing Low Sweet Chariot - arranged by Jeremy Sparks - Guitar 2
Better off dead - Elton John - Guitar 2
This Little Babe - Benjamin Britten - Guitar 3
Carrie - yes, the Riff Pilchard song - Guitar 2
There are others but I haven't looked at them yet

Cambridge Guitar Orchestra music

Air, Rigaudon and Sarabande from the Holberg Suite - Grieg - Guitar 4

Well, you did ask LOL

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member

Constantly trying to learn the solo to Hotel California. Kind of a bit of string bending.

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

I'm a noob, I've been working on learning the major scale patterns, and in particular, how they connect horizontally across the fretboard. If anyone has any online lessons covering that, I'd appreciate it :)

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've actually not been working on much, song wise. I've got a few things in the hopper that I'm making recordings of. Mostly I've been working on increasing the skill-set. I still sit back a few times a week and strum out a bunch of songs and such, but I've spent a lot of time expanding my capabilities......or at least starting to.

U2 - One (Got a good Rhythm track done and laid out over Guitar Pro Generated Bass and Drum. Need to add vocals)
The A.H. Song - Jimmy Buffet: Got a nice rhythm track down. Another song waiting on some vocals which still hurt to do.
A Collaboration. Doing vocals on a few verses. Waiting on sinus infection to clear so that loud singing or speaking doesn't kill me.
Learning To Fly - Pink Floyd: Breaking from tradition and doing it almost as recorded instead of a one guitar arrangement.

Guitar Processor Learning: I've come to terms with my Boss GT-10 and have made several very nice sounding patches, both clean and driven. I've focused a lot of attention on different pre-amp models as well as messing around with delays, chorus, reverb, vibrato (amp) and various distortion/drive/fuzz types. All the different types of signal processing in any form was pretty much a mystery to me. Figured I ought to slow down and see what it all does.

SG for LP Switch: Sold my Epi SG and purchased a Epi LP Standard Plus Top for only $25 more. Swapped pickups and did a setup. The Seymour Duncan pickups I put in the SG are now in my LP. I made out like a bandit on the whole deal.

Lots of noodling: Yes, I know. It's nothing specific. I've been working on getting my single note playing, lead/solos as well as some arpeggio type picking techniques. I'm getting a little more fluent at some things. I've gotten some basics down.

Power Chords: Yes, I know these are easy to do. I just never did them before. Soooo, I've been working on various shapes and techniques to see what I like, what I'm good at, etc. Expanding the playing skillset.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I'm mainly working on chromatic exercises and arpeggiated chords, but I've not settled on anything I like to play as the verse to GnR - Patience. Song wise I'm working on:

GnR Patience - got it all down, just got to get it tight and record it out with multiple parts.
GnR Don't Cry - nightmare. Started by picking it as an exercise, then fingerpicked it to sound more fluid, but went back to flat picking because thats where to tone is at for this one.
GnR - Sweet Child O Mine. This is a song for life lol. The day its finished is that day I say I'm a real life guitar player :)
Oasis - Half the World Away. Learned this song is no time, and started singing it as soon as I started playing it. Cool strumming song.
Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger. Trying to learn the little riffs to go with this and perfect the solo.
Europe - Cherokee. Finally got the band score from ebay and am memorising the actual tab instead of the Interweb tabs.

Many others, but I'm trying to use these as vehicles for improvement.

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Toes, Chicken Fried, and Whatever It Is - Zac Brown Band
Don't Know Where To Start Lookin For A Lonely Heart - Eddie Rabbit, Finger Pickin'
That's The Way Love Goes - Merle Haggard, gets me started on barre crord transitions

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

some of these songs are ridiculously easy, but they're really upbeat. Seems like you gotta play ACDC if you're in any kind of rock cover band!

Yeah, with the band......

Foghat...I Just Wanna Make Love to You.....FUN SONG!
AC/DC.. Whole Lotta Rosie.....Fairly easy, we're still working on timing though.
AC/DC..Shot Down in Flames....Easy
AC/DC...Riff Raff....Took me a Month to get this one right, but, Fun Fun Fun :D

Pat

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

gotda,

We play that Foghat tune too but it's been on the back burner for a bit, I'll have to resurrect it again

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Power Chords: Yes, I know these are easy to do. I just never did them before. Soooo, I've been working on various shapes and techniques to see what I like, what I'm good at, etc. Expanding the playing skillset.

I like them a lot. I don't use distortion, and play my electric clean; and I even use power chords on the acoustic. I use the root, 5th and octave. For some things I like their "darker" sound.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I like them a lot. I don't use distortion, and play my electric clean; and I even use power chords on the acoustic. I use the root, 5th and octave. For some things I like their "darker" sound.

I guess I've been doing some of that all along. In the guise of a partial chord strum. Adds a little percussive feel to a song when it's just you on a guitar.

A couple years ago I cranked my Cube 30X amp model knob way to the right, dropped the tuning and did some percussive THUNK thing involving a palm mute and power chords. The windows shook. I can't remember the particular amp model and the amp is at a friend's place. Something I shouldn't and couldn't do now, but it was fun when I did it. Volume wasn't up all that far either. Not even 1/2, IIRC.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3