Clear all

What are you working on now?

35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Theory:
C major and G major scales and the triads there in.

Songs (in rotation):
Instant Karma
Imagine (that little A hA# B riff gives me aggravation)
Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay
House of the Rising Sun (arpeggio/raking)
Venus (getting back to that B7sus4 from the Em/A in the verses)
You Don't Mess Around With Jim
Come Together

And maybe 10-15 others I bounce around with, trying to get little parts of them perfected.

Since that post I've probably bitten off far more than I can chew, having a list of about 25 songs, though my teacher disagrees with it being too much. He feels that any and all work and practice is good. What you learn in one song, you may be able to make learning another song easier.

I've added While My Guitar Gently Weeps; Lady Madonna; both pretty easy. I'm spending a lot of time on barre chords on the acoustic guitar, which is harder than on the electric. I prefer playing Instant Karma on the acoustic with barre chords...
A F#m
Instant Karma's gonna get you
Gonna knock you right on the head
Better get yourself together

F G A
Pretty soon you're gonna be dead

All barres. But I get a lot of scratching as I slide from the A to the F#m. So that needs a lot of work. I've also switched to barre chords for Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, which is the original way, I think.

We've finished up about as much theory as my teacher feels I need at this point... scales and keys; triads; 7th chords; recognizing the progressions of I IV V and ii V I and the key. Going back to tunes for a while, I want to take some piano pieces: Magic Mirror, Leon Russell; Could It Be Magic, Barry Manilow (based on Chopin's Prelude in Cm); That's All, Genesis; and learn to arrange them for guitar.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

jongggleee, now I feel old. I've heard on none of what you mention. :oops:
Since that post I've probably bitten off far more than I can chew, having a list of about 25 songs, though my teacher disagrees with it being too much. He feels that any and all work and practice is good. What you learn in one song, you may be able to make learning another song easier.
Heck man, I like the way your teacher thinks. May not be text book, but it does sound like it's derived from a great big dose of reality. The patience to work on one and one thing alone for a period of time is something that elludes me even at this age.
The next one will probably be the solo from Bye Bye Love
All those Cars songs are cool. You don't hear of them being done by many people. I thought their first and second albums to be really outstanding. I've looked into playing a couple of their tunes, but each thing I look at has B chords. There's not a whole lot worse sounding than my A-shaped barre chords.
and Man in the Box.
I've selected this one in a songbook that I have as a harder rocking one to try sometime. Cool tune.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

My own performance repertoire

Montemayor - Federico Moreno-Torroba
Alba de Tormes - Federico Moreno-Torroba
Everything I do - Bryan Adams
Air on a G string - Bach
Jesu Joy of man's desiring - Bach

Essex Guitar Orchestra music

Drunken Sailor - arranged by Jeremy Sparks - I get to play Guitar 1
Tutu Tango - Derek Hasted - Guitar 2
Pass e' mezzo - arranged by Ian Gammie - Guitar 1
Swing Low Sweet Chariot - arranged by Jeremy Sparks - Guitar 2
Better off dead - Elton John - Guitar 2
This Little Babe - Benjamin Britten - Guitar 3
Carrie - yes, the Riff Pilchard song - Guitar 2
There are others but I haven't looked at them yet

Cambridge Guitar Orchestra music

Air, Rigaudon and Sarabande from the Holberg Suite - Grieg - Guitar 4

Well, you did ask LOL

A :-)
Alan - no Rush?!?!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

what a great thread this is - i really should check it out more!! its great to see what everybody else is working at at the minute.

me, i just started working on cannon rock - i know its cheesy - but itll be a bit of a test of my progress, and im determined to get it down by christmas - only time will tell :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Mine has already altered. What's it been, 5 days or something? Sheeesh!

Anyhow, besides the sitting down for fun and playing songs I already know, I am seriously working on Pink Floyd's Shine On (parts 2 through 5) and Comfortably Number. Shine On will be against a pretty good backing track. Comfortably Number will be done using a bass and drum tracks generated from using Guitar Pro. I have found really exceptional tones to do with each one, and test runs have proven that I can do each. More on both when the time comes.

I am also toying with the idea of Wish You Were Here. Not much happens bass and percussion until later on, so un-sure when and how.

We're also nailing out the details about doing Midnight Rambler. More on that later.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3