Skip to content
What classical guit...

Notifications
Clear all

What classical guitar strings for my Yamaha Apex-5NA?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I haven't changed strings on my Yamaha Apex 5NA for a couple of years.I need to change strings and I want the best strings possible,but I don't want to break the bank either.I also want to know what's the best tension to get,normal,medium or hard.I got GHS the last time,mainly because that's all they had. Aslo,what tension is best for the guitar? I don't want to mess up the bridge by putting too much tension on the bridge.Also,would coated strings work? I don't play the guitar very often,mainly because I don't have new strings.I love the D'addairo EXP acoustic strings,would they be a good choice for classical?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Lemme get this straight - you change them every other year and you don't want to "break the bank" on strings?

The economy must be tougher than I thought. If you change strings every couple of years, the most expensive ones on the market work out to about a nickel a day. Anyway...

1. There are no "best" strings. What you like, someone else will hate. It's all about your playing style and the tone you're after.

2. The more tension, the more sustain you get - and the more stress you put on the guitar. The less tension, the easier it is to fret - and the more likely you are to get some buzzing. If you're changing strings every couple of years, stay away from the two extremes (light/extra hard) and get a medium, medium-hard, or hard set.

3. Coated classical strings: the trebles are nylon (or on high-end strings, carbon fiber), which don't need coating - they don't rust/tarnish, so they last longer than the basses. Bass strings are usually silver wound - although some sets use bronze, titanium, or other wraps - and they'll last a little longer if they're coated. But since you're not playing very often, it's probably not going to make a huge difference - as long as you wash your hands before you play :)

4. D'addario makes several types of classical strings; we carry their Pro-Arte line at our school. They're good strings for most players. They do make an EXP coated classical set, which they claim lasts 3-4 times longer than other nylon strings (but I very much doubt you'd get 8 years out of them!). I haven't tried them. But just in case your question is literal: EXP acoustic strings would be a bad choice; you want nylon strings.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote