Clear all

what do you call "knowing" a song?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

how well do you know a song before you say you "know" it? is it simply playing through the chord changes, playing them in time, singing along with your playing, knowing the song from memory, playing every guitar part? just wondering, because i "know' a lot of songs but if someone asked me to play something i don't have them memorized. i could play them but i would have to look at something. my goal this year is to develop a repetoire so that i can play at least ten songs from memory, but not just simply strumming through them. the songs i'm learning, though, are songs i already "know."

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

is it simply playing through the chord changes, playing them in time, singing along with your playing, knowing the song from memory, playing every guitar part?

Good question,

Some songs - I can play, and sing in time and I can match the recording very closely with no notes
Some songs - I can play but need a sheet for the lyrics
Others - I can play but need a chord sheet with lyrics

Multi guitar songs - In some cases I can play just the rythym and in some I can play either rythym or lead, but usually there is a combination of the two worked for one guitar.

As far as I am concerned, I know how to play all of those songs. I take my binder whenever I go to jam. Its great for others to be able to pick up the songs I know, and I like it when others do the same. Often I leave some of my material there if asked. I save it all on the computer anyway.

Like you though, I often practice improving and memorizing the songs that I like to play best. There will always be songs that I will need notes for though.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

To me, I know a song when I can reharmonize it on the fly and not screw it up.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Think of all the people that you know and then think about the people you "know" and then think about the people you "really know." Songs are like that, too.

For me the goal is to be able to play a song without chart of any kind, in any key (or to know where to put the capo at least! :wink: ) And it's always looking at it through the eyes of the single guitar. When I'm playing a part with others, it's important to be able to play my part but also to know enough about everyone else's part so that I can fill in should the need arise.

But even when you think you really know a song, there's still a lot it can do to surprise you. Our Black Friday Jam version of Somebody To Love (done by way of Jamaica) (both the island and the borough) was totally off the cuff and that involved both knowing the song and getting to know it all over again as a reggae tune.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I maintain a local web page on my laptop with all my songs on it that looks something like this:
NAME PATTERN INFO CHORDS
Back to you (Bryan Adams) D/D/DUDU Tab - MP3 C Am F G

They are categorized as Practice and Learn. If they are in the PRACTICE section then I feel I know them well enough to play along if worst case I can just look at my cheat sheet (this list) and play it. I can print this list off and I am ready to go.

There is also a third section which is songs I don't even have to look at anything to remember but it is pretty short.

Just some details on the list:

The entries in the PATTERN column are hyperlinks to short recorded samples of the pattern for the song when I first got it right or close so I could reference it. Nothing like being able to hear it rather than just trying to remember what the pattern means.

The entries in the INFO column are the tab or notation and sometimes the original MP3 if I have it.

The CHORD column is a brief description of the chord progression. The progression for more complex songs does not always fit so it is just a rough idea.

Across the top of the page is links to GN, chord charts and other references like scales.

I know, more than you wanted to hear but it is my way of knowing how well I know a song. And since I am a little anal it is a good feeling when I move something from the learn to the practice section.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

When i can sit in front of my family members and sing a complete song over the guitar , without any stops or glitches...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Knowing a song?

Being able to perform it without having to think about it - and being able to improvise if you go wrong....

Being able to throw in a few 6ths/7ths/sus4ths to add a little colour.....

If someone starts playing a song and you're able to join in....I actually cheat on this one, Tuesday nights i play in a pub, just a bunch of 40+ geezers doing a bunch of 20+yo songs....if I'm not too familiar with the song, I'll watch someone else's hands for the changes....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote