Notifications
Clear all

What do you do to warm up?

17 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I do the exercises from the 10 Minute Guitar Workout, a sort of diagonal spider exercise, and some chromatic scales. After that I do some drills which are currently some scale drills (4 steps forward 3 steps back in 8ths and 3 steps forward 2 steps back in triplets) and picking drills.

I haven't seen the "diagonal spider" exercise elsewhere but I'm sure somebody here probably has and knows some real name for it. I was shown it last summer at a workshop with Kal David.

You start off on the 1st fret/1st string with the 1st finger, 2nd fret/2nd string with the 2nd finger, 3rd fret/3rd string with the 3rd finger, 4th fret/4th string with the 4th finger. Then you repeat but start with the 1st fret/2nd string with the first finger up to the 4th fret/5th string with the 4 finger. Again starting at the 3rd string. You then come back - the 1st fret/6th string with the 1st finger; 2nd fret/5th string with the 2nd finger etc. When you reach the 1st string with the 4th finger you slide up a fret and the work the patter backwards (4th finger; 3rd finger; 2nd; and finally 1st). You repeat this up the fretboard as high as you want and then you come back down.

This exercise has been a great dexterity builder for me.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I do the exercises from the 10 Minute Guitar Workout

I use that too as a warm up, followed by some scales...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2