Skip to content
What do you guys th...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you guys think about bringing an amp on a bus??

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have the option to audition for a band, but, being a student at a university (Minneapolis), I don't have a car. I would have to take a bus. But, I really don't want to bring my Vox ad30vt amp on the bus. What do you guys think about this situation??? Also, if I were in the band, I'd have to take the bus to practice. Man, I wish I had a car...

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I took my 120W 2x12" combo with me on a bus. Definitely a shitty way to travel but looks like you ain't got no choice. The amp will hold up, don't worry about that.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

When I lived in Chicago I took an amp on the bus (and trains) on several occasions. A Peavey 60 watt job. I bought a little luggage cart (basically two wheels and a handle) to haul it around the streets with.

As Arjen says, not the easiest thing to do but you do what you have to. If you do get the gig you could always see about leaving it at the practice play and using headphones at home.

Good luck!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

maybe I don't know how headphones work, can i plug them directly into my guitar???? No need for an amp?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sorry about that - I should have been more specific. They made "amplifier headphones" that you can buy at music stores. One suspects they were originally made for folks who lived in apartments that wanted to play electric guitar. When I lived in Chicago you could pick up a set for under twenty dollars. Some even had different settings, like reverb and distortion.

One bit of advice, though, go easy on the volume. This is a great way to lose your hearing in a hurry if you keep it loud.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

haha, yeah that would be bad... to lose your hearing. Anyway, looks like I don't have this problem anymore because I realized it would be an hour and a half bus ride, one way, make that 3-4 times a week. So I just called and told them it wouldn't work out.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I've had to bring my advt30 onto a bus many times. It's only a problem if they make you put it on the luggage thing on the bottom (I had to do that one time becuase of a jerk driver :evil:) I cringed every time he made any sort of large turns. If you can bring it on with you...it's a pain in the ace that's for sure but it won't get damaged.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

sorry the band thing didnt work out.
however, there is an option if you want to play with others. and a potential band could emrge from it. or at least a project.
we jam regulary in Minneapolis. every friday night.
I think I mentiond this to you before.
as it is now, we are jamming acoustic until the final ound proffing is in.
email me. for more info.
do it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You can always get a 'Ticket to Ride' :D

Rock On !

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Being winter in Minnesota you certainly don't want to put it on the floor of a bus with water from melting snow, and possibly road salts. Big green garbage bag and small luggage cart.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Learn to play ZZ Top's "Waitin' For The Bus."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

... or the Violent Femmes' Waiting for the Bus. But that just might get you kicked off the bus.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

michhill,

Save your pennies, or for your next birthday, ask for one of those cute little Mini-Cube amps. Maybe that wouldn't be sufficient for an audition. But at least if you have to leave your good amp at a practice site, you could use the mini-cube at home. And during the summer, plug some batteries into the mini-cube and take it to a park to jam--then a band will find you. A mini-cube would be easy to take on the bus and hold on your lap, and it's a LOT CHEAPER THAN A CAR! :lol:

Hope you find a band or place to jam that's closer to home, and don't forget to study in between all that practice.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

+1 on the Mini-Cube they're really cool little amps!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You are going to need a helluva long extension cord.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2