Clear all

What do you think...

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So, I have been taking guitar lessons for about two months now, and my plan has always been after learning the guitar, to move on to the drums. But right now, I still want to continue with my guitar lessons. Does anyone think that it would be a wise idea to try and teach myself drums, know that I know a little something about music and notes and whatnot, and continue to take my guitar lessons?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Do you have time to learn and practice both?

That said, learning anything is pretty much always a good thing.
As long as you don't let yourself get burned out and forget why you ever started making music.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

If you have time... WHY NOT?? Maybe doodle a little on the drums for like 15-20 mins a day and I'm sure you'll get a so so handle on things after awhile. For drums it seems like it's all about muscle memory, ie- your brain can think of a beat, but performing it is different. I guess that applies to guitar too though....

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Drums are kind of an investment, so if you're thinking you might want to learn them, get some sticks and a practice pad and one of those "intro to drums" books. They'll teach you basic patterns, etc. My roomate in college started out this way, don't know if he stuck with it; we lost touch. But he learned a lot, and it seemed like a decent method. :)

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Learn drums... but learn rhythem... playing guitar with a metronome to get timing in your head is a great idea, only then would it be practical to work them together. Drums are a pain in the arse if you dont have a very strong grasp on time and rhythem.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Do whatever you want, really. I'm trying to learn guitar, bass, piano, synth and composition. Do I have the time for it? Probably not. But who cares, if you like drum go play drum. If you like guitar play guitar. If you like both play both. :D

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I agree with Arjen. I play guitar, mandolin and bass right now. I'm not the best at any of them, but I DO enjoy the learning process! I played percussion for years, which, I suppose, gave me a better sense of rhythm, although, in my younger years, I also played piano and clarinet, and my dad was a guitarist, too, so, rhythm may just be ingrained in me. I don't see anything wrong with learning more than one instrument at a time, as long as you're enjoying yourself. As to which instrument to devote the most of your practice time to, well, that's a personal decision that only you can make. Just make sure you're having fun while you're doing it! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bish is the man to talk to, he plays both, great drummer and guitar player, and all around great guy 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote