Clear all

What Do You Think Of Tabs?

55 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
15.3 K Views
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member

It would be more cost effective to get the guitar pro software. There are loads of free tab/notation music you can get that for it and the program is very good for learning and practising music.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

It would be more cost effective to get the guitar pro software. There are loads of free tab/notation music you can get that for it and the program is very good for learning and practising music.

Second that....... however if you don't have cash to blow - Tux guitar is a free version of the same thing, go google it. Guitar pro + tux guitar are the best tools ever for learning.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget Powertab. It may be long on the tooth, but it is free and there's a lot of tab out there in ptb format.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I've never gotten into using tabs. Is it really an effective way to learn guitar licks and chords?

Not as a "stand alone" tool.

Most tabs give no information on note duration or rhythm, which is needed to be able to play the song without listening to it first. If you've never heard the song, tab's pretty meaningless.

Many people who do tabs only know one voicing for a chord, are totally unaware of how substitutions are used, and only know one fingering for a particular pitch. As a result, chords charts are often completely wrong or in inefficient positions, and licks get transcribed in the most difficult to finger manner possible.

Tabs can show you ONE way to do it.

Learning multiple voices for chords, multiple fingering patterns for scales, and how to read sheet music can help you find the easiest way for YOU to do it.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Don't forget Powertab. It may be long on the tooth, but it is free and there's a lot of tab out there in ptb format.
I use it! I had a stack of tabs from old Guitar World magazines. I downloaded some Powertabs of the same songs and guess what? Identical! I have all my Powertab files arranged according to artist so I can find stuff when I want it. Best part is the standard music notation is there as well. I also like free!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Moonrider -

Yes they are a standalone tool when they are tabs like guitar pro/tux guitar/power tab can play because then they have notation and you can hear them.

I still think the best way to go is to use your ears unless you are really stuck - I mean if you are in a jam night situation and you aren't really given any clues about the song besides the key of it - which of these will you do?

a.) Use your ears and lower your volume til you have got the changes right and be playing it by the end of the song
b.) Tell the people you are jamming with that you are sorry but you will have to go out and buy the sheet music then come back when it arrives

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hmmmm I play by ear, use tabs, sheet music, whatever I can find. I voice chords the way I want to, transpose leads to the positions I want to use. I wasn't aware I was supposed to pick one method and strictly adhere to it. :?: Apparently using TAB to learn a song is cheating, yet reading sheet music puts you above those that play by ear. I am being sarcastic of course but my point is what ever works for an individal should be fine.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

I was searching around for Beatles Bass Tab/sheetmusic and on one perticular track, Musicnotes.com and Sonifly.com agreed, but Tabpro was slightly different (all page one samples only), and the Tabpro is playable as is I'm sure. BUT the first 2 mentioned seem to be pinpoint accurate. Sonifly is less than 2.00/song.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I got this for £10.95........ its 195 Beatles songs in chord format and its very accurate - I can't imagine how much you would pay for all those songs even if they were less than £2/$2 each

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Well maybe I'm just being anal but, since I'm only a novice bass player at this point, and if I want to have no doubt I am in pursuit of the "correct bass line", I need all the notes, bass clef and all. :) Work work work

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Tabs are just another written form of music just like sheet music although in a somewhat condensed version. There is nothing inherently wrong with using tab but most that you see on the internet is incorrect to some degree and I'd say as much as 90% of the songs have something wrong in them. The guitarpro and powertab look better and in alot of cases you can tell people have just imported those from sheet music and they tend to be better but still many are not correct.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@caliban4)
Eminent Member

For guitar, tab has its advantages as it is faster to read and play especially in the upper register. Having the notation is necessary for phrasing, rhythm and dynamics.

There are a number of websites with guitar pro tabs. One or two sites are really good such as gprotab dot net (I didn't check to see whether external links are allowed on this forum so I didn't want to post any). What you will see is that certain popular songs might have several to many different tabs for the same song, so it's a matter of looking through each tab until you find a version YOU like. 'Like' is a subjective word and may not necessarily mean a note for note rendition of the original. I like tabs with a decent accompaniment as well, which is always a good bonus when you get both for free and you can play against it in g pro.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I consider tablature a necessary evil if you play with people who can't read music, which I do as often as possible. At least it shows non-readers where to put their fingers; I can take them the rest of the way. Music is more than where your fingers go.

Standard notation can do everything tabs can do, plus SO much more. This is not intended to disparage players who depend on tabs -- as noted above, I enjoy playing with people who don't read.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I do agree there is nothing wrong with being able to read music but I still can't see any use for it personally.

I mean I know I'm playing rock and it's not that complicated but with all the people I have ever played with both for fun and the band no one ever pulled out some tab or sheet music while playing. There was one guy I used to work with who had a little jam going and he would put up on an overhead usually the chords/tab but that was it.

Crow when you say you play with alot of non-readers are you in some sort of professional environment, orchestra or something? I'm wondering how you would know if they read music or not by playing with someone?

I'm with TR, use what you have. I wish I had a great set of ears then you aren't dependant on anyone/anything but so what if you use tab, sheet music powertab, or alien beings to teach you, you still have to play it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Crow when you say you play with alot of non-readers are you in some sort of professional environment, orchestra or something? I'm wondering how you would know if they read music or not by playing with someone?

My first band, back in the days of REAL punk rock, couldn't read music. My spouse, my musical partner for 20-plus years, can't read music. I'm not certain whether some people in my church band can read -- I can't tell from their performance. But, whatever. I will happily put tabs together for willing/eager players who don't read, because, as important as reading is, it does not disqualify anyone from making good music.

Most recently, my little church band played some Beatles stuff, and one of the members had to stare at the sheet music to get through the performance. THAT worries me a lot more than reading or not reading. Those songs aren't burned into your DNA? Good God! :)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4