What do you think o...

Notifications
Clear all

What do you think of this kind of case?

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I can get one of these cases for $42 which is a bit cheaper than the offered price. They seem to look fine and I don't take my guitar on airplanes or anything...I would only use it for basic transport from point A to Point B...

Case

Thanks

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Looks like a nice contoured and rugged case. I have ALL hard shell cases for all of my guitars, you never know when you will need it. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Very similar to the cases I have both of my acoustics in.
Surprisingly sturdy cases by the way.
I bought both my cases (1 peavey, 1 Gatorcase) with the guitars and they ran about $60 at the music store.
So it looks like a similar deal once you pay the shipping charge.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Looks really nice. I've never actually seen one but it looks like my hard case but with everything I've always wished it had. So, if you dont have allready have a hard case then go for it. My hardcase is pretty heavy but I still love it. So if this is a lighter hardcase with zipper and strap then i'd go get it.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The guys seems cool and is quick to respond to messages. He said the shell is actually a very strong rigid foam reinforced with wood yet it is lightweight. Then it is covered with ballistic nylon.

The measurements are:
These are interior measurements padding to padding.
Lower bout: 13 inches wide
Upper bout: 9 1/4 inches wide
Middle (hip): 7 1/2 inches wide
Depth of case bottom: 3"
Depth of top cutout: 1 1/2"
Overall length of guitar: 39 3/4 inches (40 1/4 with space for strap button)
Length of body area (from base to top strap button area): 17 1/2"
Length of body area (base to tip of cutaway): 15 1/4"
From heel area to tip of headstock: 21 1/4"
Length of head area: 9"
Width of head area: 5"
Accessory compartment: 8 3/8" W, 8 1/4" L, 2" Deep

Missleman,

So do you think the case you have is good for the price? I was going to get This case from Rondo but I really didn't like how "pimpy" it looked with the colors :lol: Plus it's a bit more expensive once the $15 shipping is added. If you had a choice which would you think was the best deal? I checked some of the Epiphone cases here locally and thought they were cheaply made.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am happy with them and they are well worth the money.
Not good for extremely rugged handling like at an airline but for throwing in my back seat its fine and provides plenty of thermal protection on cold winter days.
Has plenty of storage room for books, tuner, metronome ect...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks missleman. The seller also seemed imptressed with these cases (of course HE would!). He also said that they are MUCH stronger than one would think foam would be. The wood supports are around the edges.

I too only want this case for light transport like my backseat. If I were to travel I would get one of those aluminum travel cases.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks missleman. The seller also seemed imptressed with these cases (of course HE would!). He also said that they are MUCH stronger than one would think foam would be. The wood supports are around the edges.

I too only want this case for light transport like my backseat. If I were to travel I would get one of those aluminum travel cases.

Thanks
ALUMINIUM , WHAT ABOUT TITANIUM ??? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

ALUMINIUM , WHAT ABOUT TITANIUM ??? :lol:

Well when I win the lottery I think about titanium

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure these cases are mostly styrofoam, which means little crush or penetration resistance, but probably plenty of blunt blow shock protection. This is sort of like a motorcycle helmet without the strengthening rigid shell. For a solidbody electric, shock protection is probably the most important consideration anyway, as most are pretty tough critters. For an acoustic -- especially flat top steel or classical, something will more crush resistance might be better.

In looking at the picture, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of headstock support. This is were a case of this construction could excel. Unfortunately there is too much space = non-support around the headstock.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

So do you think the case you have is good for the price? I was going to get This case from Rondo but I really didn't like how "pimpy" it looked with the colors

Man that thing looks awesome!!! Totally vintage, but what do I know I just bought a rectangular strat case by Kaces in pristine condition from the pawn shop for $20 in urine yellow tweed with red plush interior. Wish I had a vintage strat to put in it 8) 8) 8) Guess the Squier will have to do.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

In looking at the picture, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of headstock support. This is were a case of this construction could excel. Unfortunately there is too much space = non-support around the headstock.

Actually gnease...if you read the description (or maybe it was in the email he sent me?) there is a strap that is used to anchor the neck/headstock. Plus I have looked at several cases in that price range and they all were limited on headstock support...at least with this case I can always add a piece of foam under the headstock...you can get it anany arts & crafts store...

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Depends on a few things. How expensive is your guitar to replace? If you have a $100 Strat you don't need hard-shell case. That kind of case would cost almost what the original guitar cost. If you have a $1,000 axe I'm sure it would cost over $200 to glue a snapped neck back on.

I bought a hard-shell case for like $70-80 (don't remember) but I'm so glad I did. My SG has traveled with me in and out of my home about 2-3 times a week for a few years. I'm generally pretty careful with my stuff. But I've banged that guitar case into stuff going in/out of doors, up stairs, against my car when loading it. Once I even saw the case fall to the floor from leaning on a wall. I was pissed I made that mistake but the hard-shell protected it well.

Soft-sided cases have one other disadvantage. Our bass player has one and he'll bump his bass against something and hit the tuning pegs and screws up the tuning. Anyway, it's like insurance: buy as much to make yourself comfortable. I have a $500 deductible on my car for liability. Some people only have $100. But, for my guitar, only a hard-shell case will do.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

corbind,

Thanks for your reply...I have been looking into the foam used on this case (and probably others like it) and it actually comes from NASA and is a poly expanded space age foam used on several space missions. It's not your standard squishy foam but extremely firm. Now like I mentioned earlier I wouldn't trust the airlines or UPS (FedEx & USPS as well) with it but for basic transport say for guitar lesons or if I were to take my guitar to work then it is MORE than sturdy enough. If I WERE to ever take my guitar on a plane I would invest in an aluminum (or titanium) case and wouldn't EVEN trust the hardshell cases for that purpose.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Soft-sided cases have one other disadvantage. Our bass player has one and he'll bump his bass against something and hit the tuning pegs and screws up the tuning.
Are you sure your talking about the same thing.
I have two of these cases (not a gig bag) and it would take one heck of a bump to hit the tuning pegs.As far as I can tell you would have to break the case to hit them.
I have hit all kinds of things with my cases and had no effect to the case or contents.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2