Notifications
Clear all

What do you think of this kind of case?

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, I guess I was talking about gig bags. You made me laugh about an ATA case. Reminds me of the hilarious time I had last June/July in my flight to Florida from Chicago and back. Yea, if you're flying, even a regular hard-shell case is no match for airline baggage employees. :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

In looking at the picture, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of headstock support. This is were a case of this construction could excel. Unfortunately there is too much space = non-support around the headstock.

Actually gnease...if you read the description (or maybe it was in the email he sent me?) there is a strap that is used to anchor the neck/headstock. Plus I have looked at several cases in that price range and they all were limited on headstock support...at least with this case I can always add a piece of foam under the headstock...you can get it anany arts & crafts store...

A strap probably is not enough. For complete protection, the headstock should be supported both front and back to ensure it cannot snap off in a whiplashing condition -- easily caused by allowing the case to fall over from standing upright on its end to flat on the floor. The case that came with the guitar I purchased most recently has a wedge of dense foam (in fuzzy, faux fur of course) that can be positioned optimally behind the headstock by sticking it down on a velcro strip in the case. The top of the headstock also is supported, but by fixed padding in the lid.

I see nothing wrong with a ballistic nylon-covered styrofoam case for an electric, except for the fact that the headstock support could be better -- and you are correct, most cases suffer from the same issue. If your guitar has a mahogany neck, get the craft foam, cover it in cloth and do the mod you've suggested. If the neck is maple, this probably isn't necessary.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Whoo Hoo! I just got this case for $36 (and that INCLUDES shipping!). The winning bid was $13 and some change! I can't believe I got such a great deal! (for those that haven't read the full thread here is the CASE.

Maybe my luck is finally improving :? . But then again I better not jinx myself!

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

The guys seems cool and is quick to respond to messages. He said the shell is actually a very strong rigid foam reinforced with wood yet it is lightweight. Then it is covered with ballistic nylon.

The measurements are:
These are interior measurements padding to padding.
Lower bout: 13 inches wide
Upper bout: 9 1/4 inches wide
Middle (hip): 7 1/2 inches wide
Depth of case bottom: 3"
Depth of top cutout: 1 1/2"
Overall length of guitar: 39 3/4 inches (40 1/4 with space for strap button)
Length of body area (from base to top strap button area): 17 1/2"
Length of body area (base to tip of cutaway): 15 1/4"
From heel area to tip of headstock: 21 1/4"
Length of head area: 9"
Width of head area: 5"
Accessory compartment: 8 3/8" W, 8 1/4" L, 2" Deep

Missleman,

So do you think the case you have is good for the price? I was going to get This case from Rondo but I really didn't like how "pimpy" it looked with the colors :lol: Plus it's a bit more expensive once the $15 shipping is added. If you had a choice which would you think was the best deal? I checked some of the Epiphone cases here locally and thought they were cheaply made.

Thanks

Pimpy ? man i got one of those pimpy things for my explorer :oops: it's freakin huge i can't even fit it in my car. did i mention it's ugly ?!!?!

The black looks much nicer

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Never, ever, ever, skimp on a case. If it's worth owning, it's worth ponying up the cash. If you think you won't be traveling except by car, maybe this case will do. If you are taking the train or plane, get a real case. They can be had for pretty cheap if you know where to look.

Calton is gonna run you a pretty penny, Cedar Creek is pretty good, Hiscox is safe for you to travel in, Ameritage is great too.

Dennis brings up a good point, you don't want a $500 case for a $250 guitar. If that's the case, haha, go look on the internet for factory second Alvarez or TKL cases.

That said, if you are looking for a case to protect your guitar for just round and about, I think you got yourself a deal mike.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I have tunnel vision. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a contoured case. From the guitar cavity to the edge there is some good distance do so a direct hit seems like it would be absorbed long before it got to the merchandise inside.

Looks great!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

As I mentioned before...I do not plan on taking this case on an airline nor ship this case via USPS, FedEX, etc. To go from point A to point B this case is BETTER than perfect.

These cases go for $70 normally. Plus I can not justify spending $500 on a case for a $160 guitar. If i ever get a TRUE Gibson LP believe me I will get a titanium case with 5 Master locks and 2 pitbulls to protect it! :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2