What Does This Statement Mean?

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

"Where's your guitar?"

I walked in to the venue last night that my friend and his band were having a gig. I "knew" 3/5ths of them before tonight and all of them now. This friend is the one that comes to my house to jam with me with his bass buitar.

So he catches us before we even sat down and asked the oddest question. "Where's your guitar?" Nothing had been discussed prior to last night about my participation. Period. Never, ever been brought up. I don't know if I missed a hidden message somewhere, didn't follow protocol or what. Anyone got any clues?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

So he catches us before we even sat down and asked the oddest question. "Where's your guitar?" Nothing had been discussed prior to last night about my participation. Period. Never, ever been brought up. I don't know if I missed a hidden message somewhere, didn't follow protocol or what. Anyone got any clues?

I don't think YOU missed anything.

I'm more than willing to sit in with anyone, but unless they ask me to pack my axe ahead of time, I go to my friend's shows with the intent of cheering them on and feeding them energy. To me, expecting I'd be asked to sit in would be unforgivably arrogant and rude.

He should have given you a head's up in advance: "Hey, if you make it tomorrow, bring yer plank with you!"

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I think he's just goofin' around, but also letting you know that you'd be welcome to sit in.

Who knows, maybe he's been talking up your abilities to the other guys.

Also, +1 to Moonrider's comment. I'd call it bad form to show up at someone else's gig with an uninvited guitar .

But if I happened to have an "emergency guitar" in the trunk of the car, that's just being prepared... Who knows when a beach party might spontaneously happen? :wink: :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I'd take it as a positive, Roy.
You guys had a good jam this week, right? 'Best ever', iirc.
The implication seems to have been you could sit in for a number or 2.
If you guys jam before their next gig, bring it up.
If not, I like kenteh's 'just so happens I have a guitar in the trunk' ruse. :D

Don

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm taking the "he was just goofin' around" aproach for many reasons, including my own conveience. He has suggested that we attend an open mic a couple of weeks from now that the drummer hosts somewhere within 20 minutes from here. I need to work more on Rock guitar even more than I have. I'm running into the same thing with harder Rock songs that I was with the long list of strummy songs. I didn't know many all the way through. I should probably pluck one or two off their list and learn them every week.

I hear one of the guitarists is thinking of "retiring" or at least dropping one of his two bands that he's in. I'd be a bad choice, even if I knew their material inside and out. It's a game time decision whether or not I could handle watching them, let alone play.

I so have and know what their song list is, but I only know three of their songs. Another one that I'd need to play a few times to re-remember it.

Moonrider, I never thought of it that way. Bringing a guitar to someone else's gig? dang! Brass cahonies, eh? :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I think he's just goofin' around, but also letting you know that you'd be welcome to sit in.

Yep, I agree...

I feel the same as pretty much everyone else..I don't "invite" myself to a gig instrument in hand unless I know ahead of time it is an "open mike" kind of thing...in that case, I might be inclined to bring some equipment with me.

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

Also, +1 to Moonrider's comment. I'd call it bad form to show up at someone else's gig with an uninvited guitar .

+1 more to the goofin' but letting you know he thinks you would do OK.

As to showing up to someones gig with guitar uninvited I witnessed first hand that very senario a week ago. We went see one of our favorites at his weekly show and another player from the area showed up and walked up and set his guitar on the stage then he sat down and got some food and mid meal went and got an amp and sat it on the stage. I could hear the discussion between the lead and his band and his final comment was "he must have stones bigger than the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs". He then went over and moved the amp off the stage and told the guy that they had it handeled.I'm sure it was akward for everyone involved.

Other people might think you are better than you believe you are Roy. Don't sell yourself short.

Being a harp player I just show up where ever, grab a mic and let er go. Key, what key, breaks, what breaks. I'll fit something in there (never ever will this happen!)
:shock:

Jack

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea I think he was just making small talk. I've said similar type things to people who share the same interests like " Where's your clubs" to someone I know golfs while we are sitting ina meeting or something. Obviously I had no intent of playing with the person it was just small talk and I'd bet that's what this was too.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Ask him.

I wouldn't take an axe to somebody else's gig, ever. Way to bold for me.

But, with close friends, I've been asked to. I usually bow out, cause I'm chicken, but if it's someone I've played with, and know I could play with, then I might sit in on a number. Only if it was planned in advance, though!

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

that sounds like it could be a great compliment there! Congrats, you know you've come pretty damn far when you are showing up and people that are playing are asking YOU where your guitar is!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote