Skip to content
What happened with ...

Notifications
Clear all

What happened with my guitar...? Weird sound..

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@isalore)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I bought a new guitar (Levin - 400$ price, built in mic and tuner) about two months ago and it worked great until now, when suddenly the strings on the guitar started sounding really weird. It´s this vibrating, rattling sound like when the strings are not exactly in tune. The vibrating is really, really fast. I haven´t tried replacing with new strings since it´s only 2 months old or even less.. I had many other guitars with much older strings and I never ever heard this sound before.

It´s mostly hearable on the high E string and D... but also on G and B.. not as much though.

It´s funny because I just took a break for 10 minutes, came back, picked it up started playing and the vibrating sound is gone... It comes and goes like this. It´s not always there.

I would be so happy if someone could help me with this.

Regards,
w.l

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Check and see if there is a phase switch/button in your controls. When you face the amp or are near it, it will feedback and vibrate, so you need to walk about 6 feet away or press "phase". Then if you get close again with your back to the amp, you are too close, it could be doing it again, and you need to change the phase again. Sensitive pickups and mikes do that. I think it would have done this before, not all of a sudden. I don't know why it is sudden. I don't want to blame a structural issue or damage, unless you have more clues for us. Maybe your amp switched to a sound effect or overdrive.
First post? Thanks for your trust in the forum. Welcome. :D OH, BTW, you didn't say if you were plugged in and amped?

Anyhow, this is only one suggestion. I'm not saying "this is your problem". Just an idea, based on what I've seen before. You could have started with an introduction of sorts, but I'm sure that others will share their thoughts if you can try this remedy, or rule it out based on your guitar's features which I have not looked-up, or the amp. Let us know. Good luck. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I'd suggest changing the strings. Two months can be a long time depending on how much you play and you have no idea when those strings were changed, what quality they are, and how many grubby hands played them in the shop before you bought it. Besides, it's a cheap option and it's probably about time anyways. Old worn out strings can definitely make the kind of noise you describe.

Another possible problem is something loose on the guitar. When you hear the vibrating noise try and pinpoint it. If you can keep the noise happening and then bring you ear close to the guitar can you tell where it's coming from? Another way to locate it is when you get that noise try lightly touching various places on the guitar and feel for an "odd" vibration. Try the pickguard, tuners, bridge, etc. I had an odd buzz once that was a loose pickguard.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@isalore)
Topic starter  

I found out what was causing it!

Thanks for the answers anyhow, much appreciated.

It was actually the fan in my room, in the top of the ceiling causing the vibrating sound when it was turned on. Who could have known that, such a strange thing..

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Oh, ok. I've heard that sound too then. I've got a ceiling fan in the room I practice in and when it's on I will often get that in the background. It's reflections of the sound off the blades but since they moving the reflections change.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote