Skip to content
What if an indie la...

Notifications
Clear all

What if an indie label is partnered w/ a major label?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cstar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If someone were signed to an independent lable that was partnered up with a major lable will their deal be much better than it would be if they signed straight to a major lable? Or, do these indies model their deal after the major label's deal because they work with them and the artist still get screwed?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The only time that I've heard of this situation, was when someone was "exposing" the record company. The idea seemed to be that they sign new artists on the indie label, but include a very well written clause, in the indie contract, that gives them the right to transfer the artist to the main label, at the company's discretion and on some wording like "standard company contract".
In other words, as soon as you become marketable, they transfer you to the major label - you have no say in the matter, nor can you quit and find a major label on your own. The "standard" contract is no better than slavery and something that any lawyer, acting on behalf of an artist, would have shredded in seconds.
How true that is, I can't say - I've never been in that position. It's certainly something that I'd trust the music industry to do, though.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote