Clear all

what is a DI box..or DI

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

does it stand for dgital input? what is it?? how much does it cost? help please lol

thanks

$MAX$

(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

would this work? its cheap 39$ canadian:

http://www.behringer.com/DI20/index.cfm?lang=ENG

is this esential for my recording system do i need it or is it just an enhancer?

is this how it works?: guitar and microphone to DI box to analog mixe to USB or soundcard

or is this how it works: guitar and microphone to analog mixer to DI box to USB or soundcard

lol and my last question is how do i know if it is a USB connection or is i connect it directly to the soundcard and how or is it firewall?

the mixer is a: BEHRINGERUB802

thanks guys if you can answer all these questions lol i think i am ready to go out to a store and investigate

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

DI = Direct Injection

In short..
The one in your link converts unbalanced high impedance outputs to balanced Low impedance. Most common use would be for sending a high z output such as guitar to a balanced preamp or mixer input.

i.e.. guitar > DI > Mixer

Other uses such as reducing noise on long cable runs by converting to balanced signal (and back again if necessary).

If your mixer has Hi z unbalanced inputs (pretty likely) then use those.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If your mixer has Hi z unbalanced inputs (pretty likely) then use those.

Lee

Likely to have them, but mixer hi-Z is not usually high enough for guitar. Mixer hi-Z inputs are usually spec'ed to be >10 kohm, and maybe some actually make 100 kohm. A guitar should be provided with far greater than 100 kohm -- 500 kohm may be acceptable; 1 Mohm is good -- to avoid roll-off of high frequencies. The exceptions to this are guitars equipped with active pickups or on-board pre-amps, as these will easily deal with 10 kohm loads.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A DI or Direct Box is not normally needed except when you are using a long guitar cable over 25 feet long. They are used to reduce unwanted noise such as picking up radio frequencies or ground loops.

Behringer makes some very good DI Boxes that are very reasonably priced and have a good reputation.

Behringer GI100 Ultra-G Direct Box

I could be mistaken, but I believe DI stands for Direct Input.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

is this esential for my recording system do i need it or is it just an enhancer?

is this how it works?: guitar and microphone to DI box to analog mixe to USB or soundcard

or is this how it works: guitar and microphone to analog mixer to DI box to USB or soundcard

•No, you do not NEED a DI box, unless you want to plug your electric guitar into a mixer. (or for long cord runs) That one you picked out is a splitter, and would only be needed if you wanted to send the guitar signal to two mixers or 2 channels on the mixer. Probably not what you need.
•It would be Guitar>cord>DI Box>Mixer>soundcard line in.
•If you are using a mic, you don't need a DI box. All you need to do is put the mic in front of the guitar (or amp if electric), run a mic cord to the mic preamp on the mixer, then connect the Line-out of the mixer to the Line-in of the sound card.
•If you have an accoustic/electric, you may want to go direct and mic'ed, then mix the two channels to your pleasure.

ReplyQuote