Clear all

What is a Guitar Smile?

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Saw the term in a Led Zeppelin book and, well, I'm clueless.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Page was pretty good at smiling while playing. I guess they would be having so much fun sometimes they would just smile. That is the only thing I can think of.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Are you sure it says "smile" and not "simile?"

"Simile" is often used (in guitar sheet music) to indicate that while they've given you a basic strumming pattern, in the actual recording the pattern will often contain slight and subtle changes in it. The "basic" measure, for instance, might have two eighth notes, four sixteenth notes, two eighth notes and four sixteenth notes while a "simile" measure will have two eighth notes, four sixteenth notes, two eighth notes and an eighth note and two sixteenth notes for the last beat.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

:oops: I must be getting old! And, I need to use my glasses more often!
I'm sure you are correct David. I'll check when I get home, just for my own sanity. I'm sure it just a senior moment.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I thought it meant that mentally disturbed grin that suddenly appears on my face when practicing for too long.

:?

Best,
ande

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I thought the same

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I thought it was a slang term for bending a note or something, which could also be a frown.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Google suggests something that looks rather like 'The Happy Axe Murderer'........

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Hey, Chris...I been meanin' tuh say since I joined GN: NICE PORCH!!!

All's that needs to go next to them thar guit-boxes is a Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hey, Chris...I been meanin' tuh say since I joined GN: NICE PORCH!!!

Isn't that the feed line for the old joke - "That's no PORCH, Cat, that's a FERRARI..." Oh, wait! You mean the VERANDAH. :wink:
All's that needs to go next to them thar guit-boxes is a Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc!

Cat

New Zealand plonk! Sacrilege! :shock: We have a couple of racks of good Aussie reds and whites thank you... Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc indeed.... sniff..... well, maybe some of them are pretty OK...

Chris

More views off the verandah. Definitely a good place to relax and put on a guitar smile. :)

Sunset
Old guitar
Misty morning

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Guitar smile? Could this be the rictus that one's face twists into when getting carried away whilst playing? A good example would be to watch Carlos Santana's face while he's mid-solo - his face is so contorted he looks like he's in agony sometimes. I'd post a youtube example, but hell, ANY Santana solo will illustrate the point!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Guitar smile? Could this be the rictus that one's face twists into when getting carried away whilst playing? A good example would be to watch Carlos Santana's face while he's mid-solo - his face is so contorted he looks like he's in agony sometimes. I'd post a youtube example, but hell, ANY Santana solo will illustrate the point!

:D :D :D

Vic
The "King of Facial Contortion" has got to be Gary Moore!

Zum Bleistift: :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0 - from about 1:00 in...

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The "King of Facial Contortion" has got to be Gary Moore!

Zum Bleistift: :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXYjEMTQRm0 - from about 1:00 in...

That is a gooood example of high degree of facial contortion. :lol: Nice playing too.

But it is nothing when you compare it to B.B. King's contortion of not only the face but the whole body occasionally. Infact at 6.33 B.B. is so full of emotion/blues that the pianist and some other guy come to his aid...

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMWTqUuSh4

Love the spirit ! :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the old james brown move. bb isn't the dancer jb was, though.

ReplyQuote
(@manti)
Eminent Member

Guitar Smile: The ecstacy-like faces pulled by Steve Vai and Joe Satriani mid-solo.

[Manti]
http://www.soundclick.com/Manti

ReplyQuote