what is this guy doing here?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH2e7LkEwbU

Exactly 2minutes and 9 seconds into the video, in the middle of the guys solo, he seems to switch the scales he is using to play a very short but cool little descending lick.

I have tried to copy it by ear but i cant seem to get it right - does anybody know what scale he might be using here - it is the kind of "outside sound" i would like to be able to pull out of the hat every now and then?

thanks in advance for any replies.
Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I don't know the scale, but maybe he's using some sort of box starting on the low E of the 7th fret, playing triplets down the scale, maybe a Major scale, I can't really tell.

It doesn't really sound right to me though.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i know what you mean, but that is what caught my ear. The rest of what he is doing just seems to sound too familiar to my ears (because it is the same plain old blues stuff i play), but that lick stood out to me and i really want to incorporate more "outside" notes into my playing, it sounded "fresh and different" to my ears at least, without sounding like a mistake.

thanks for listening to it - Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

The "off" sound is what makes it unique. I like that sort of thing - it stands out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the solo (in a good way) He kinda stumbles across it at the end but recovers pretty well. Maybe he couldn't see the fretboard that well in the dim lighting...

I used to do a very similar run back in the day on my pedal steel guitar. I could be wrong, but I believe the proper term for this particular sound is "dissonance".

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I only had time for a quick listen, so my apologies if this is wrong. It sounds like he's starting this run with a series of tritones. Since it sounds like they're playing this is C, my guess would be something like this:
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - - - - - - 11 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
D - - - 10 - 10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A - - 9 - 9 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - 8 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm going to have to find time to listen more seriously to it in order to work out the last two, but maybe this will get you all started.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks david - i think that will be a great help - i have a gig tonight but ill try it out tomorrow in practice!!!

thanks everybody for taking the time to listen.

AL

ReplyQuote