What is this song?

67 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

This may not be the right forum for this but it didn't seem right for Hear Here either.

Help me figure this out. I have had this little riff in my head for a long time. I know I didn't write it and know for sure I learned it back in the late 60's or early 70's but for the life of me I can't remember the song it is from. There is more to it than I recorded but I was messing it up so I left it at the main part.

Does anyone have any idea of what it is from? I would just like to know so I never have to play it again :lol: :lol:

Unknown riff

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Hmm, a little faster and I'd almost swear it sounds like Apache or something in that vein...

Or maybe my ears are messed up today.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, a little faster and I'd almost swear it sounds like Apache or something in that vein...

Or maybe my ears are messed up today.
I may be playing it too slow. I will take a look at apache and see. Thanks.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Welcome. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Couldn't find any part of Apache that it sounded even close to (unless I am playing it real bad from memory) but I did find another great site for oldies while looking for more Ventures tunes.

http://www.bobforrest.com/JukeBox.htm

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@villanovajunction)
Eminent Member

To me that sounds kind of like a slowed down version of Wipeout.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." Jimi Hendrix.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

To me that sounds kind of like a slowed down version of Wipe out.
I kind of thought that at first myself but I play a very different version of Wipe out so that can't be it. This starts on the low E and all the versions of Wipe out I know are on the treble strings. Thanks

Could be that I am playing something old so bad it is not recognizable :lol:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I know I've heard that, and I agree with the late 60's or early 70's. Can't put my finger on it though - maybe something from a television show, opening theme, etc?

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I know I've heard that, and I agree with the late 60's or early 70's. Can't put my finger on it though - maybe something from a television show, opening theme, etc?
It's been driving me crazy for awhile and just decided I needed to subject you folks to it :twisted: :lol:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

What a guy :lol: I'll probably be hearing all night :lol:

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@villanovajunction)
Eminent Member

Listening to it again, there is a slight resemblance to The Peter Gunn Theme out of Tthe Blues Brothers.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." Jimi Hendrix.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It's on the tip of my tongue! It sounds very familiar.

If you don't get an answer try posting it in the “Guess That Riff” thread in the “Games” section.

Right now we are waiting for Hue to post a riff, so now might be the ideal time.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

If it wasn't the Shadows then maybe it was something Duane Eddy did?

Does sound familiar.... :?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

If you don't get an answer try posting it in the “Guess That Riff” thread in the “Games” section.
I would feel guilty doing that not knowing the answer myself. Kind of cruel and unusual punishment :lol:
Peter Gun theme out of the Blues Brothers

I will check out Peter Gun after I eat. Thanks.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

As soon as I say it, Hue posts. Go figure.......
I would feel guilty doing that not knowing the answer myself. Kind of cruel and unusual punishment :lol:

I didn't mean it as an entry, but as a place that can help you if you don't get an answer.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5