Notifications
Clear all

What keeps you playing?

35 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

Being madly, passionately in love with my guitar!
She's so beautiful I just want to hold her all the time.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member

I love playing because of the feeling I get when I do play. There's nothing else like it in the world. Whenever I pick up a guitar, I'm so focused on the music that I forget about everything else that is bothering me.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Lately... nothing. Every time I pick up the guitar it makes sounds I know like the back of my hand. I think I'm more interested in perfecting the vocal performance right now. :(

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

It's cheaper and more fun than Therapy.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It's cheaper and more fun than Therapy.
Cheaper? :roll:

It's still more fun than Therapy though. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Hangnails are more fun than therapy.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

JFK in a speech he made at Rice University in 1962 (before he was killed, would have been difficult after) was talking about the space program (NASA) and the goal he set out of putting a man on the moon before the end of the decade.
... But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain. Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too...

We chose to play the guitar because it is hard, because not everyone has the patience and dedication to make it. It is not a matter of having talent or not having talent. We all play for our own reasons, for ourselves, for others, for money, for joy, for relaxation for joy. Why did Renior paint? Why did Shakespear write? The beauty is in the sweat and pain of doing, the joy is in the art of creating. The magic is in the finished product.

I'm not sure why this quesiton is being asked. If the asker is in a rut and about to give up and wants a reason to continue or if they are just curious to see how many different answers there would be. You'll see that all the answers are the same, they just sound different.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Cheaper? :roll:
I need a lot of Therapy and I've always been able
to find good deal on equipment.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

because every once in a while i play something that makes life worth living, if only for a minute.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

Because picking up my acoustic and playing around for 30 mins every day makes life a little better.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Hearing great players makes me want to work hard, so one day I can sound like that. And, of course, it helps me pick up women :D

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Hearing great players makes me want to work hard, so one day I can sound like that. And, of course, it helps me pick up women :D

Thats alot of my reasoning too. Combined with wanting to learn something new, at the time.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

The fact that I can't play too good! Gotta keep trying!

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Hah, Im gonna be EMO For a second.. Weve all got ghosts, most musicians are especially loud ive found, and when I have a 6string in my hands they shut up.When you have 500 watts behind you problems just melt. Its become such a part of my life, going without a guitar is the hardest thing for me. I can go 2 weeks and forget to call my girlfriend but I dont go a day without a guitar, life wouldnt be the same. Speaking of which ive been on this here forum too long today allready. *Reaches for his Horizon...*

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure why this quesiton is being asked. If the asker is in a rut and about to give up and wants a reason to continue or if they are just curious to see how many different answers there would be. You'll see that all the answers are the same, they just sound different.

I believe the questioner is trying to tap the rich enthusiasms of our group. Reading this thread, I could definitely "see" the calm smile of each guitar player (similar to one who is asked about a special relationship. (Like asking a Christian about the moment of conversion. Or asking someone about his/her first love...)

For me, guitar has become so much a part of my life over the past few years. It's provided comfort in moments of distress. Elation, when everything comes together, and a song reaches completion. Silent company, as I look across the room at those beautiful creations. Mutual nurturing, as I coax sounds from them; and they give me instant feedback (no pun intended). I know where I stand with them: if I don't put everything into learning, they'll let me know, pretty quick. They are trusted friends, and always keep their promises.

Learning guitar has filled me with music. It kills me to see people sit around bored and empty and closed. Learning guitar has filled me with music; gave me meaningful goals; opened my spirit up to new music; opened up possibilities to explore; and amazed my friends with the simple enjoyment of listening to me playing a song that they recognize.

The day I die I will have: played my guitars, read my Bible, and kissed my wife (not necessarily in that order 8) ) Guitar has become my last essential relationship.

later,
Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3