What kind of guitar is this?

47 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have a 'Series A' guitar.

And Nils boring? Nah. *looks shifty* Kidding.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

For the cash (and this style guitar) you can't beat a Hamer Vector Standard. $300 - 400 with pearl vector inlays, string through body, DD pups (I think) and just great quality control.

The Import Hamers (not the Slammer) are a phenomenal value. The SATQ (sunburst arch-top) from 1998 - 2001 made in Korea go for $200 - 250 used and are extremely playable. Throw in Duncans/Dimarzio/Gibson pups and Grover tuners for $125 and you have an extremely playable guitar that looks hot for under $400.

PLUS - the headstock says "Hamer" just like the American boutique Hamers. In fact, put an American (made in Connecitcut) Hamer next to a like-model Korean Hamer and you really would have trouble seeing the difference. That's the trouble with Epi - solid guitar, but everyone knows it is an Epi. With the Hamer - up on stage - no one knows the difference.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Doing all that to a Vector is a possibility. I am confused on how everyone would think the Explorer is an Epi though, it says 'Gibson' on the headstock.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

I own a 200$ Hamer SFX2 and it sounds EXACTLY the same as a 2000$ Hamer. Ive tried both in a shop using the same amp, even the same settings. It looks amazing too, its all white and black hardware.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is what I hope to get once I have the money:

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-Explorer--76-i33723.music

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Looks nice. Oh, and I love the Gene Simmons look in your pic :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

gene simmons hell, thats a black haired courteney love, just kidding angel, btw great axe, hope you get it soon

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Just a bit of friendly advice, Angel:
those Explorers are really badly made. The logo in the hadstock isn't layed in well, at sticks out by 2mm. The finish isn't even and the hardware feels cheap. I wouldn't recomend it. Get a Hamer. they are much better made, and cheaper,

Thanks,
Leo.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well I don't plan to get it over the internet, I plan to go to a store. So I can see the finish, hardware and everything else for myself. When I try it, and the finish looks fine, the hardware is good, I like the tone and the feel of the neck, then there is no reason why I shouldn't get it.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the double post but I have a question. I have been looking at the Hamer Vectors. That's right I consider people's advice.........and it has nothing to do with Morgan Lander playing one.........really. Anyway, if they are made in Korea, would I have to pay duties on it? Though they are coming of out the US.....

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Doing all that to a Vector is a possibility. I am confused on how everyone would think the Explorer is an Epi though, it says 'Gibson' on the headstock.

I have an Epi Goth Explorer and i'm very happy with it. I bought it for about R5000 ($450US) (the rand was very poor then)
The standard pickups are not bad but not great honestly, on a scale of 1 to 10 id give them a 7 Dist was good though, clean sounds were very poor without a pedal. Construction and workmanship i would go with a 10 it's a simple guitar not allot of detail so i guess thats why.

I've bought genuine gibson parts for my other les Paul Type guitar (tune-o-matic ,stop tail piece) and i don't see what all the fuss is about my epi's hardware is just as good.

The Tuners are grover tuners the same as you get on the Gibson and they are the best, really good.
After playing with it for awhile as stock, i replaced the pickups with EMG81 and EMG 60 i also changed the volume and tone knobs with the ones supplied when you buy your EMG Pickups.

After that i've never looked back. The EMG 60 is great when it comes to clean sounds it just blows anything else out the water IMO.
And it's not a slight diff its huge like night and day.

After all the upgrades you can have a guitar that cost you 650-700 that sounds as good or even better than a gibson.
Someone also said for them it's not comfortable to sit with it, i can honestly say it's as comfortable as any other guitar - well except for a flying V.

Oh BTW don't dismiss les pauls they are bloody awesome just look at these :twisted:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=244&CollectionID=6
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=243&CollectionID=6

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm not open to the idea of buying a guitar and changing pickups around. The more I think about it, the more I don't like the idea, especially ordering online. I mean, if I got a guitar and didn't like the stock pickups, how do I know what to change them to? That being said, is there anyway to know what it sounds like before I put them in? And if I don't like them once they are in, what am I going to do with the pickups and the guitar?

Now if I try one in a store, most likely a Gibson, which stock pickups are normally better, I know what it sounds like right away, without having to guess what the pickups will be like when I put them in, because they are already there. And if I don't like it, I don't buy it. The route of buying an Epi or Hamer and changing pickups is cheaper, but seems to have a higher chance of regrets.

Those Les Pauls are better than the ones I've seen, but still kind of boring to me.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Oh, Angel, believe me, i tried changing the pickups on my Hamer for DiMarzio Super Distortions. I returned them to the shop the next day because they sounded dry and disgusting. The Hamer stocks were more powerful(as i later discovered). Plus the Hamer stock pups are Seymour Duncan Desinged.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I'm not open to the idea of buying a guitar and changing pickups around. The more I think about it, the more I don't like the idea, especially ordering online. I mean, if I got a guitar and didn't like the stock pickups, how do I know what to change them to? That being said, is there anyway to know what it sounds like before I put them in? And if I don't like them once they are in, what am I going to do with the pickups and the guitar?

Now if I try one in a store, most likely a Gibson, which stock pickups are normally better, I know what it sounds like right away, without having to guess what the pickups will be like when I put them in, because they are already there. And if I don't like it, I don't buy it. The route of buying an Epi or Hamer and changing pickups is cheaper, but seems to have a higher chance of regrets.

Those Les Pauls are better than the ones I've seen, but still kind of boring to me.

OWA yes i can see why you would say that, and it makes sence. Although i doubt Metallica would have used the same pickup combination 60/81 or 81/81 for the last 15 years if it didn't work.

I think the gibson explorer comes stock with a 500T which some say sounds as good/better than the EMG81. Funny though that james always takes out any stock pickups from his guitars and replaces them with his trusty 60/81 combo.
You can get sound clips from http://www.emgpickups.com although it doesn't do it justice

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well I listend to the sample but didn't like it. It seemed too muddy for me. I listened to a sample of the Gibson ones and liked them more.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I would assume James Hetfield of Metallica chose EMG's not because they are better but because he liked he liked the sound they make. Also from reading the reviews of the Explorer, everyone agrees that the pickups sound heavy and gritty. What they don't agree on is whether or not that is a bad thing, or a good thing.

Based on that, I would assume choice in pickups is more about preference than anything else.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4