What kind of guitar is this?

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Gary Allan is one of my favorite country artist and in the "Best I Ever Had" video he is playing a rather beat up old thing. Looks like a Fender to me but what kind? Not even sure I am right on it being a Fender. I am bad at this sort of stuff. But if someone has a chance and wants to take a guess I would appreciate it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Definitely a Telecaster.

Might be some sort of copy or ripoff, since they don't show much of the headstock, but it's a tele (pronounced "Telly").

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Looks like a Fender Standard Tele to me.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Undercat. I know it sounds silly but I'd like to find one that is pretty banged around (Not that I advocate hurting a guitar) so I can play around with setting it up, changing the pickups (if needed), and that sort of thing. I think theres alot of character in that green thing he is atleast posing with in the video. I cant believe I am GASing for an ugly guitar. LOL

Anyways.. thanks
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Try some pawn shops. They are good for both quality and beat up guitars.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not a Fender Tele -- different headstock shape and neck pup. I caught the name "Tomkins" in one sequence. Here's a link:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/tomkinsguitars/garyallan.html

It's as Aussie company.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Argh.. I dont think there is a chance in hades that I will find a Tomkins. But then again I dont HAVE to have an exact replica of the guitar in the video. Not that I wouldnt strive for it.

I am feeling a little weird about so much desire for a really ugly beat up guitar.

I met Gary when he toured here. He's a great guy. Writes VERY sad country, but great guy.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Argh.. I dont think there is a chance in hades that I will find a Tomkins. But then again I dont HAVE to have an exact replica of the guitar in the video. Not that I wouldnt strive for it.

I am feeling a little weird about so much desire for a really ugly beat up guitar.

I met Gary when he toured here. He's a great guy. Writes VERY sad country, but great guy.

Geoo

Okay -- here's a simple and cheap suggestion guaranteed to work: Buy a Saga Tele kit (about $100 US), paint it and build it. Try to do a really good job. If you are like 95% of us, it will look pretty crappy, but play okay. If you actually are good at these things, you will be able to put on a worn finish without too much trouble. You can cut the headstock to what ever shape you want. And you will learn something about electric guitar assembly and setup.

Torres Engineering sells Saga Kits

Good luck - Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Jason Boland and The Stragglers did a cover of "alright guy" that i really like.
i agree with gnease. make your own and then it'll look like you want it to :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if he is country nine of ten times it 'll be a telecaster.

I couldnt see the video. I like the posts re: make your own.

teles can be had for several hundred. add a few more if American made.
you should get a mex tele or something similar.
then paint and distress.
then add the pickups and other good stuff.

sounds like a nice project.
hmmmmm.
darn you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I tried to watch the video, but after an ad for heartburn pills and one for Ricky Scaggs, I get nothing - no matter which one I tried to watch

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

plus, from the caption on the pictures it says "Gary's original 'distressed' Tomkins." . The quotes indicating that it was intentionally distressed to look that way.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

found this
http://www.users.bigpond.com/tomkinsguitars/gallery.html

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey Twisted..thanks for digging.
I like that site quite a bit.

since I have been delving into early country I better get one of these:

yeehaw

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Okay -- here's a simple and cheap suggestion guaranteed to work: Buy a Saga Tele kit (about $100 US), paint it and build it. Try to do a really good job. If you are like 95% of us, it will look pretty crappy, but play okay. If you actually are good at these things, you will be able to put on a worn finish without too much trouble. You can cut the headstock to what ever shape you want. And you will learn something about electric guitar assembly and setup.

Torres Engineering sells Saga Kits

Good luck - Greg

What a terrific idea. Bet I can learn alot doing it this way and come out with the distressed guitar of my dreams. Not sure I could ever make a beautiful instrument but I almost guarantee you that I can make a distressed one. WOOT.. Thank you

Geoo

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2