Skip to content
What kind of guitar...

Notifications
Clear all

What kind of guitar stand do you prefer?

33 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

AHHHHHH..I think I did post a similar picture in my first post...thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

geoo/300m - I saw one of those stands at NAMM (I think at the Babicz booth) and I liked it - I'll get one of those next :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've got 3 of these, although only one has the strap to hold the guitar. They're adjustable in height and hold either acoustic or electric. The fork swivels, so that even guitars with offset bodies are catered for.

and I've just bought one of these. The arms rotate and hold the headstock in place

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard- I've seen too many guitars fall out of the first type stand you've pictured. Usually it's because they are too lazy to make sure the guitar seats properly on rotating bottom piece, however there are two other more design-related reasons: The angle at which this stand holds the guitar is not steep enough for some electrics, and either the guitar or both guitar and stand fall forward with little provocation. The knob for tightening the adjustable back is less reliable with age, and often works loose so the top support slowly slips (rotates) sideways until the guitar spills.

I recommend Ultimatebrand guitar stands as some of the most stable I've tried. Caveat: The claim about the stand resisting drummers (Genesis GS100 description) may be overstated. Recently, a drummer did indeed knock over my S-500 in that very stand. No matter how careful one is, there is always someone ...

For wall mounting (yeah!), I've used both String Swing and Off-the-Wallbrands. Both work fine. but I prefer Off-the-Wall, as they look more high tech (style choice) and inspire more confidence given the materials and three point mounting.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've had none of those problems with mine - maybe German stands are built better than American ones. :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Greybeard- I've seen too many guitars fall out of the first type stand you've pictured. Usually it's because they are too lazy to make sure the guitar seats properly on rotating bottom piece, however there are two other more design-related reasons: The angle at which this stand holds the guitar is not steep enough for some electrics, and either the guitar or both guitar and stand fall forward with little provocation. The knob for tightening the adjustable back is less reliable with age, and often works loose so the top support slowly slips (rotates) sideways until the guitar spills.

I guess the solution would then be with ANYTHING fragile take proper precations. I know it may take me a few extra seconds to place my guitar in the stand properly but I do it. However, I'll admit I don't have any kids or pets running around. If that were the case I would either use wall hangers or if I had a $2000 Taylor lock it in a safe! :lol: :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My Taylor does hang on a wall, way out of reach of kids, pets and flying objects. So do almost all my other guitars.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I use the Hercules GS414B auto grab. Very nice stands. Neck hang and locks so it can't fall out.

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Anyone checked out MCH's guitar stand in the repair and maintenance forum? I wouldn't know how practical it is or how safe for an expensive guitar, but it sure looks purdy.

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I didnt describe mine very well so I took pictures. Its called Hercules.

Enjoy

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I use the Hercules GS414B auto grab. Very nice stands. Neck hang and locks so it can't fall out.

LOL didnt see you message before I typed mine below. I think its the same as your stand.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Tool hangers,$1.96 at the home center :D I hang all my guitars on them, in 2 years never had one fall. They have a protective pading on them so they don't scuff the finish on the guitar neck.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

this is for noteboat,

If your wife is looking for one of those display cases, Ive seen some in the MF catalog, it's like a closert box with doors in the front, and a glass front panel. It can hold to 7 guitars, I think, you might want to check that out.

As for the stands, Im getting my 3rd guitar soon (currently have fender strat and a yamaha classical) but I only have 1 stand, so I might buy the 3 in 1 stand, and keep it in my room, and have a single stand that I keep next to my computer when playing.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

gnease, just drill a hole in the back of the stand for the bolt to go through. Mine and I do not know the brand has a slot in the back the bolt rides on. Just mark the back of the top section and remove to drill the hole. Drill enough for the bolt to go through and then a little thread locker to hold the bold.

Mike, both my Taylors are on the wall, but my 210 is way short of $2K. My NS32 is close though.

Try this for a stand. Tallor stand

John M

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Why do I need a guitar stand when the guitar is never out of my hands?....
Smokindog, that looks a real cheap, viable alternative to splashing out for "proper" stands....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3