What practices and exercises do you do?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. hows it going. anyway
i was wondering what are some of the practices you do to get better at the guitar. i wanted to get some more practices to add to my copious amount of them. Also i remember a post about what it takes to be a great guitar player and one of those points was to write down your practice time so this can get it done for you all

ok heres what i do
cromatic scale in every possible combination. go all the way down the fret board on every thing. get some shred exercises in and also some reading practice. also get some music theory studying in. play currently learnd or learnig song(s).
play one thing from the guitar magazines. work on my own composed songs.thats it for now...

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I put on a backing track or make one and jam along. That's about it.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I dont do excersices. Learning your chord changes/progressions and scales improves your technical proficiency and knowledge of theory at the same time.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member

1324---1324---1324---1324
4231---4231---4231---4231

over and over and over and over......

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I dont do excersices. Learning your chord changes/progressions and scales improves your technical proficiency and knowledge of theory at the same time.

Ehhh, I think chord progressions and scales are exercises. At least that's what I've been telling people.

I should try that stuff rainripper does though. I hear about alot of people doing that sort of thing. It's basically practicing intervals, right?

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I do scales starting with quarter notes, then eighth, triplets then sixteenth notes. Then mix them up.

Also i do a series of slurring exercices, hammer-ons /pulloffs using all four fingers to increase finger strength and stretch.

If I do all of the exercises it takes about 15 - 20 minutes or so. I don't always do these but I try to do them most days.

Then I usually work on the song of the week. This week it's been Purple Haze, fairly easy, just got the solo from my instructor the other day and I think I pretty much have it down, now I'll start playing along with the CD.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member

Here's an exersice that my guitar teacher gave to me a while back, and it's helped alot with my speed and dexterity.

5678-(play each fret 4 times, two times around, then 2 times, 2 times around, then 1 time, four times around, then move on to the next string.) Hope that's not too confusing.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Ehhh, I think chord progressions and scales are exercises. At least that's what I've been telling people.

I should try that stuff rainripper does though. I hear about alot of people doing that sort of thing. It's basically practicing intervals, right?

The stuff RainRipper does is an excersice. Practicing scales looks nothing like that. I practice scales with intent to improve my soloing ability. I practice chords with intent to improve my ears and possibly create nice rhythms.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member

I find repetitive practice incredibly dull. I've tried playing scales, chromatic patterns, and whatnot, but they inevitably bore me too much, and I lose interest.

So what I do now is learn a song which uses the techniques I'm "practicing". For example, I'm playing Kryptonite by Three Doors Down. The techniques I'm learning include power chords (in the chorus), transitions between open and bar chords and plectrum picking. Occasionally, I'll develop little exercise to help out on a particularly difficult part. For example, there's a transition from Asus 2 to Bm (barre)...so I'll do that over and over (well, for maybe two or three minutes at a time when I practice).

I've just set up my guitar near my pc so I can play to backtracks.

I've been planning on doing what Arjen suggested, namely jam to a backtrack. My teacher showed me how I can, if I know what key a song is, play the relevant scales over the song, so in that way I can practice my scales, modes etc. in a way that's fun and sounds good.

I suppose I can work out what key a song is in by seeing which scales sound good with the song:-)

ReplyQuote