Skip to content
What should a band ...

Notifications
Clear all

What should a band look for in a drummer?

38 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Right, and I think that's what separates good drummers/drumming in songs from bad. Does he treat his kit like an instrument or not?

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@rosinante)

the number one thing a drummer should know is how to keep a beat. after that, you can kick some creativity.

drummers should know all kinds of time measures and genres of music.
believe it or not, the drummer is the one who defines the band.
but overall, you should keep that groove, man.

viva funk!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

the number one thing a drummer should know is how to keep a beat. after that, you can kick some creativity.

drummers should know all kinds of time measures and genres of music.
believe it or not, the drummer is the one who defines the band.
but overall, you should keep that groove, man.

viva funk!

Wow, that's the one member I would say didn't define the band. The drummer, bassist and even rhythm guitar and keyboards can really spruce up a band, but I would say that in the vast majority of bands that they don't define it.

I believe songs are most often defined by their lyrics and their melodies. As far as frequency of definition, rhythm and progression are a distant third and fourth.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@piano-man)
Eminent Member

from watching most bands i would have to say......

1.) Must be willing to play without a shirt.
2.) Must have long hair (really messy).
3.) Willing to keep groupies happy.

oh, and all the rest you guys said.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Interesting discussions...

I've played with a few drummers, and recently one of the guitarists from a jam session said that they didn't like one of them because he didn't keep time well. I didn't really pay attention, as it was just a pick-up jam. Later, I realized that the drummer had been following the band instead of leading it. If the rhythm guitarist or singer went off-track, the drummer compensated to keep the song together.

The next time we played, I told him to keep time rock-solid, and don't get dragged around by the rest of us, and voila! Tight timing.

So when you're auditioning a drummer, make it clear whether you expect them to keep time, or you'd prefer that they help cover for the rest of you 8)

Personally, I like "tasteful" drummers who bring some creativity to the song. Even simple changes to the pattern of a cymbal-ride from verse to verse can be effective. As a bass player, I really enjoy catching the drummer when s/he does something clever. And they appreciate my noticing.

And as I've noted elsewhere, I've had very good luck with lady drummers.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

-Laz

Kinda personal there, Laz.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

-Laz

Kinda personal there, Laz.

Let me rephrase that... :wink:

ReplyQuote
 hd30
(@hd30)

As a current drummer and apprentice guitar player, my answer to this question is:

1. Solid time. This is key above all else. You can't have somebody who will let the tempo drag and rush all over the place. Whether you can play mind-boggling prog rock, or only a simple 2 and 4 beat, it has got to be even.

2. Play for the song. People would much rather hear a good, well thought out song than "look-at-this-ridiculously-flashy-lick-that-I-probably-can't-reproduce". Don't sacrifice the good of the song for an over-the-top-part. Insert one or two "cool moments" where appropriate.

3.Emotion. If you don't play with emotion, then there is no sense in even picking up the sticks. I don't mean go nuts and beat everything in sight, I mean play it with some feeling.

4. Overall musicianship. You need to at least be able to communicate with the other members of the band, and play at an acceptable level. This one is pretty self explanatory. This also somewhat ties in to #1 and #2. You can get a way with being a less skilled player, if you have a solid groove and play for the song.

Also, these are in no particular order.

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

In a rock/metal band a drummer has to be a strong leader. He should have leadership skills. That and he has to be able to keep time. Maybee the singer or guitarist or someone else calls the shots between songs/gigs, but once the song starts the drummer is the leader. Otherwise the band will be terrible. A drummer that gets no respect = a band that sucks. A drummer that's not afraid to launch a stick at the back of out of time guitarists head = Tight well disciplined band.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

hairballxavier

Man, we bump heads on everything. I used to play with a drummer who was very much like your description. One night he threw a stick at me, that struck me. Another night he gave me a head butt. So, I threw him flat on his back. After that he behaved very well.

I totally disagree with you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Complete sets of arms and legs are a requirement in drummers. Our drummer kicks ass, so I'm not entirely sure what to look for in bad drummers.

Anyone who retorts to this with the phrase "Def Leppard" needs kicking/self-evaluation in terms of what makes a good drummer, One-Armed Joe is terrible.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Strong leading personality = band sucks, in my opinion. That person will try to call ALL the shots, from song selection to tempo to marketing decisions.

A band should be a set of individuals working towards a common, and agreed upon goal. If that's the personality running the show, the dynamic is different. I'll do exactly what I'm told - once we agree on the fee upfront... because basically, I'll be a hired gun for that kind of corporate personality, but I'll never be a subordinate 'teammate'.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep.

I've played with a few prima-donnas. Their opinion of themselves is usually much better than their musicianship.

The fellow I referred to was actually a very talented musican. He could sing, play guitar, piano, and drums very well. He has a degree in music and teaches school. But his attitude, especially when drinking was not good. He has caused a lot of trouble for himself over the years.

But even with all his natural talent, we had to get after him for overplaying, especially during verses. It is not enough to be talented. You have to be musical as well.

Yes, if I'm playing guitar as a hired gun I do what I'm told too. But that doesn't give people license to treat you like dirt.

I am so happy with the band I am in at the present. We are all good friends. There are no egos. We can talk about any performance problems without someone loosing their cool. We work as team-mates.

Yeah, once in awhile you have to put those prima-donnas in their place. In this case, it was on the floor.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

In a rock/metal band a drummer has to be a strong leader. He should have leadership skills. That and he has to be able to keep time. Maybee the singer or guitarist or someone else calls the shots between songs/gigs, but once the song starts the drummer is the leader. Otherwise the band will be terrible. A drummer that gets no respect = a band that sucks. A drummer that's not afraid to launch a stick at the back of out of time guitarists head = Tight well disciplined band.Wow, you sure know your stuff! Where can I pick up your CD?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I agree with hairballxavier, I mean... in my opinion, a band is not about the technical or creative power of all the individuals, it is about the individuals coming together and being able to produce good music. Sure, i love when bands have great guitar players or drummers but without a good band it is useless for them to be playing with them. That being said, I think all the players have an equal role (or at least should) and I think drummers should get more respect.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3