Clear all

What should i do...

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@tre-billie-mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi, i'm thinking of buying a bass but i'm also looking at buying another guitar and i can only have one or the other, i can play a bit of bass already, and was wondering if it would be a good idea to have both as i already have a guitar (obviously :lol: ) what do you all recommend? :?

...It's Somthing unpredictable, But in the end is right, I hope you have the time of your life...

----I Am The American Idiot---- <-------You have been warned

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I had been playing guitar for about 6 years before I thought about trying to get a bass. I loved that bass I got. I was just no good at it, so I stuck with the 6 string for another 13-14 years. Now, in the last couple of years I have gotten a bass, then two more, and thoroughly enjoy playing it. I really enjoy playing bass with a good amp. I also really enjoy playing lead/rythym guitar.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@tre-billie-mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

so do you think i should buy a bass?? :roll:

...It's Somthing unpredictable, But in the end is right, I hope you have the time of your life...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I think what he is saying is that for him, waiting a while allowed him to get better at the guitar, allowing him be able to play the bass at a better level once he got good at guitar.

Personally, I think two instruments that are related Guitar-Banjo Guitar-Mandalin Guitar-Bass is always a good idea.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@tre-billie-mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

oh right but like i said i can already play a bit of bass and i am quite good at playing the guitar and i am improving my skills everyday i also have a really good guitar teacher who i only see once every two weeks but i still manage to learn quite a bit each lesson 8) , so you think i should get a bass (i sound like a parrot :lol: ) sqwauk polly wanna cracker polly wanna cracker sqwuak :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

the problem with guitar players playing bass is that it sometimes sounds like a guitar player playing bass :?

props to bass players!!!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's up to you. I've learned some bass over the last year and have had a great time learning it. It's also improved my guitar playing. And it makes me a more flexible member of the band -- the bass player can also play keyboards and likes playing 12-string acoustic too. That gives me a chance to play some bass.

It's all good -- another guitar or a bass. You can't make a bad decision there.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Now only if we could find someone to play that with a name like Victor Page or maybe Jimmy Wooten...then we'd be in business :wink:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Erm.

Have you ever heard of Led Z...

Oh.

:D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I hear you. Sure, Page played bass (full time for the Yarbirds for a while even), but I was just going for, IMHO, the best player on each instrument :smile:

Anywho, to stay on-topic, here's my response to your question Tre-Billie-Mike: If the guitar that you have right now just isin't cutting it, and you really want to focus on playing 6-string, then a new guitar would probably be the way to go. But as long as your guitar is getting the job done, I totally agree with duffmaster. A mando, bass, banjo, etc is close enough to guitar that a lot of your skills will transfer over, but the different perspective that a second instrument gives you will help you a lot as a musician. I play trumpet as well as guitar (they're not even close to being similar!), and a lot of times I'll be working on something on one and think to myself, 'how could I work that on the other instrument?' Sometimes you just can't, but many-a-time it ends up being something cool that I would never have thought of even trying before!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I admire the rhythm and concentration that bass players have, but I don't think there's anything I can't do on a guitar that I could do on bass (except maybe slap or something).

Having said that, I try to add bass runs and concentrate on the lowest notes of a chord during progressions so I get ascending or descending bass progs etc for effect.

Anyway, slightly off topic, but point is, don't think that a bass and a guitar are that distant from each other. They're as similar you make them (ie. the skills you integrate that are usually associated with t'other)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@tre-billie-mike)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anywho, to stay on-topic, here's my response to your question Tre-Billie-Mike: If the guitar that you have right now just isin't cutting it, and you really want to focus on playing 6-string, then a new guitar would probably be the way to go. But as long as your guitar is getting the job done, I totally agree with duffmaster. A mando, bass, banjo, etc is close enough to guitar that a lot of your skills will transfer over, but the different perspective that a second instrument gives you will help you a lot as a musician.

Thanks everyone i think i will get the bass, for the reason above because my guitar sounds good enough to me :D you've all been a great help, and if you still want to suggest things you are welcome to, and while im here does anyone have any suggestions on which bass i should get for low price around £100 - £200 8)

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I would recommend the same as with guitars, try some and find what you like?
I'd imagine the Squier basses would be not bad for that sort of price range?
http://www.thomann.de/iw_smb_suche.html?SUBJECT=KOMFORTSUCHE&iwid=2&SUCHBEGRIFF=squier+bass&x=0&y=0&LIMIT_WAGR_STR=GIGE

It might be worth asking in the bass forum?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I played bass for a band for about 2 years. Got good at it, but I tended to play more like a guitar player.

But I love the instrument.

I say get the bass. Bass players are in far more demand than guitar players, you will always have a gig. :wink:

Our bass player Dom just picked up a Dean 5 string on EBay for about $150. I'm tellin' ya, it is NICE. I couldn't believe the high quality for such a low price. Has great tone too. So check out Dean, they make great guitars.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2