Clear all

What size are your strings?

41 Posts
37 Users
0 Likes
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I have a simple question for everyone. I am wondering what gauge (is it gauge or gage hmm...) strings does everybody play on your acoustic and on your electric? And why? Also please include if you use .012's (I call them twelves, is that proper terminology?) but you tune down a half a step to lower the tension.

I have been wondering lately if I should aspire to using heavier strings so I was wondering what does everyone uses and why. Thanks for any responses.

And I looked up gauge at dicitonary.com and it can be written as gauge or gage, in case you were wondering.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I use D'Addarrio 9s on my electric guitars. And Elixers mediums on my acoustic guitar.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

D'Addario XL 10s on my electric, John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights on my acoustic.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Guild 11s on one acoustic, D'addario 11s on the other. ( I went to get new strings for guitar #2 last week and the only thing they had in stock was by some outfit Memphis String Company or some such thing. Oh, the trials of small town life).

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

d'addario 10's on my electric.no acoustic ;)

This may work better as a poll...A seperate one for acoustic and electric.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I use electric .10 GHS Boomers, I think im going to move to .11's soon though.

For accoustic guitar, John Pearse strings are awesome.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I use Alchemy strings from Dean Markley on my accoustic. They're 12's, coated, and last for AGES. They stay bright and give a real great tone. I highly recomend them if you haven't tried 'em out.

I don't have an electric yet, so yeah...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It doesn't really matter to me, I use 10's on my electric (fender bullets) and 13's on my acoustic... I've been thinking of putting 13's on my electric as well, but i believe that using strings that thick will ruin the tremelo.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I use D'Addario 10's or Ernie Ball 10s on my electrics and Elixer mediums on my acoustic

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I use Martin 12s on my Martin, tuned 1/2 step down. And Ernie Ball/D'Addario/Dean Markley 9s on my Ibanez electric, tuned standard. I also use Martin Silk and Steel Standard guage on my old Johnson acoustic.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

13's on the acoustic, 10's on one electric, 11's on the other

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I have Dean Markley Blue Steel 12's on my acoustic. GHS Boomers 10's on my strat knock off and I just put GHS Boomers 11's on my Schecter and dropped the action as low as possible. May go to 12's soon.

On the acoustic I like the 12's especially with an average to high action. I practice the most on this. I've learned to play cleaner and built up more finger strength. Especially with bending.

After that, I hardly feel the 10's on the strat clone. The Schecter and it's 11's are a dream. Not too tough to play and a bit more bottom to the overall sound. I'll probably jump to 12's around the beginning of the year and stop there.

Just my preferences. I agree with my former gutiar teacher. Neck, string size etc. are miniscule things really. If you play a single guitar long enough you get used to it. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@sunsetncnja)
Trusted Member

.10's on acoustic and electric. I like how my acoustic sounds with .12's but it seems to really affect how well I can do bends, and I bend strings a lot.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I go with 10's on my strat and 9's on my ESP with wang bar. Just doesn't seem right to use anything else with a wang bar.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Ive got heavy acoustic coated elixers, i cant remember the gauge for the life of me. Its as heavy as they come.

Kido

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3