Notifications
Clear all

What size are your strings?

41 Posts
37 Users
0 Likes
(@javajark)
Eminent Member

i use martin mediums on my acoustic. i used D'Addario once and they lasted about half as long as the martins so i went back to them.

I've been using GHS boomers on my electric .10's going to the store today and pick up some .11's and see how they sound.

The bridges that I walk across are weak. Frustrations fill the void that I can’t solely bear.
And I have turned away and searched for answers I can’t understand...

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

I just have electrics. They all have Ernie Ball Power Slinkies starting with an 11 on them.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Size matters. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

11-49 D'Adaario nickle wound on my electric SG. Why? I tried 10's and it seemed like my hands would move the strings too much on chords. I tried 9's once and liked how easy it was to play but it just wasn't for me.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

When I first started I played .009's and but now I play much heavier strings.

After trying many brands of strings, I found GHS boomer for electric and Martin for acoustic, to be the best for me. Until I found the best kept secrect in guitar strings, Thomastik-Infeld strings. They are hand made in Vienna, Austria. They cost twice as much as most brands, but if you wipe them down with a lint free cloth (underneath too) after every use, they will last you 3 times longer than any brand, and they sound awesome. I won't use any other brand.

My fender acoustic : Thomastik-Infeld plectrum acoustic series (.013, .016, .025, .034, .047, .061) an the .061 is not a typo
My Gibson ES-347 hollowbody: Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Be Bop series (.014, .018, .022, .032, .040, .055) use mainly for blues, jazz,&rock
My customized Gibson flying V2: Thomastik-Infeld power-brights heavy bottom series (.011, .015, .019, .032, .045, .053) use for rock, hard rock, heavy metal

Bigger strings sound warmer, have better sustain, and you do get use to them quickly.

ReplyQuote
 tack
(@tack)

I use GHS ZW Lo's on all my electrics. I think they're 11-70. At the moment, my acoustic has electric power slinkys on it, but that will have to shange soon, it's too thin sounding.

I wanna see it painted black, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun, blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

it appears im the only one who uses 0.08's..

i alternate between 0.09's, 0.09's are the best, i just like to alternate, if i had 2 guitars one would have 0.08's and one would have 0.09's, depends what i want to play really.

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Well, i used to play exclusivley 11's(any brand thats cheapest. Currently im using ernie balls) becuase, i dunno why, i just like a little bit heavier 6th and 1st string. But now that i have my yamaha pacifica too, i like to put 9's or tens on that. Thats more of my shred guitar since it has the maple fretboard and a trem, but the ibanez's bridge i have locked, so its kinda more my number one. It's also nice to have a guitar to keep in different tunings and such. Like, lately I've been learning alot of stuff from train of thought by dream theater, and alot of that album is in C standard, so it was cool just to leave the ibanez in that tuning for a while and also have a guitar i could still noodle with.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

i used to use fender super bullets 9 guage..but one day i popped a string on satuday about 7 oclock...apperantly noone like to but guitars or accecories after 5 on saturdays...so i went to walmart..bound and determine to play this guitar..i bout 2 packs of First act 9 guage strings..now all 5 of my electrics..even my beloved Purple Fender Stratocaster...rock the walmart first act 9's...my 2 acoustics are adorned with 12 guage steels..might try 10s though

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I got 9s on my univox, 10s on my variax, and once i get my strat (someday soon) itll have 11s.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I use D'Addario XL110s (electric strings) on the six string acoustic and all the electrics. The classical I think has D'Addario J-45s or J-46s, and the acoustic 12 string has Gibson Britewires that go from .009-.040 or so. Hard to find the Gibsons; GHS has a set just like it though. Or I might just go back to D'Addario XL150 (.010-.046) electric set for it.

Yah, maybe just stick with D'Addario; it's so difficult to type the name I might as well just do it once and be done with it. :)

ReplyQuote
(@big-al-hendrix)
Trusted Member

on the prs i use 9's

on the '69 strat i use...
10-13-15-26-32-38 :)

Hendrix Freak

>Pride an' Joy
>Mr Mojo

http://www.voodoo9.co.uk
(creator of the guitarnoise logo)

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies... some of you guys with 13's on your acoustics just enjoy pain!! Part of the reason I was wondering what strings others use is because right now I have 12's on my acoustic and 9's on my electric. I was thinking of upping the gauge on the electric and going down a size on the acoustic or maybe even going to 10's.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Purple, I can hear you on that. Others may say you get better "tone" with fat stings but all I know is it gets better volume. So I think you'd be good with downsizing on the acoustic and add more manual volume. As for electric, I plan to (one day) drop down to 10's for ease of barre chords. I just have not gotten around to that in a couple of years.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've always used 9's......Ernie Balls....on both Electric and acoustic. Last week, by way of an experiment, I bought D'Addario 9's for electric and Martin 10's for acoustic.

The D'Addarios I love, but the acoustic......well let's just say I hate the wound 3rd string, the whole tone of the guitar seems unbalanced - I have this nagging thought at the back of my mind there should be three treble and three bass strings....

So experiment over, going back to 9's.......

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3