Clear all

What song are you learning right now?

71 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@tactful)
Estimable Member

I am still fooling with the tri tone intro to Aerosmith's ''Dream On'' it is actually kind of fun.

Heroes Don't wear capes.They wear Dog tags

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My jam with my bass playing friend left me with almost an assignment. Three new ones, for me that is, to figure out. I got a good ways into two of them this weekend. I'm about to try out the third.

Head East - Never Been Any Reason
Grand Funk - I'm Your Captain
Led Zep - Whole Lot of love

I had a bit of a choice when it came to the Led Zep song. I think it was this one, "Living Loving Maid" and "The Ocean". I think I chose Whole lot of Love the other night after looking through my song books. It was least like anything I play, so I figured it would be a good elarning experience. We'll see.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Re-learning Metallica "Jump In The Fire" and Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit" solo.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@jim-bodean)
Eminent Member

John Prine "Souvenirs" -- featured in the newest Acoustic Guitar magazine. The fingerpicking patterns are taking me where I've never gone before.

Steve Earle "Galway Girl" -- saw him perform a month ago. Trying to learn a harmonica solo for it too.

Todd Snider "Horseshoe Lake" -- Had to transpose down 3 half steps. My voice couldn't hit the high parts.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK a new one I need to learn by Saturday..Roadhouse Blues - Doors ( Actually it's pretty easy so it shouldn't be a prob)

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I am learning what is hip by Tower of power - from "Learn funk guitar with tower of powers Jeff Tamelier", Jeff should have probably checked what they wrote down in the tab book though because there is stuff missing - I can hear stuff he is playing that isn't written down. Oh well, at least I can use my ears to help me, some people can't but still the reason you buy a tab book is so you don' have to do that job! :lol: Why am I doing your job Mr Tab book?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm still working on my Led Zep trilogy. "Whole Lot of Love", "Gallows Pole" and "Good Times, Bad Times". Actually, it's a mini set with "The Ocean" being in there somehow. It's opening up a whole new world of riff-rock and power chords combo that's quite challenging for me.

The exposure is starting to pay off a bit. A special request from me Mum has me learning Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" now. I don't think that it's a song that can be strummed though all the way. One of those riffs that repeats itself all over the place and is signature for the song.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

Have been looking very longingly at Whole Lotta Love myself, Roy! Seems like an awesome song to play, been tempted since Santana's cover was stuck in my head.

Been very busy the last few weeks/months, but starting again. Ice Cream Man by Van Halen's on the menu, and it's so very addicting to play that I'm already starting to fear for the solo, which will be coming up next week with my teacher: ouch.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

starting to fear for the solo
That's an ever present state of mind for me. :oops: :oops:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Pretty women eh Roy, the other guitar player broke that out a couple weeks ago and we started jamming to it. Not my cup of tea but it has a decent groove and I can see it going over pretty good with an older crowd.

Kind of like Mustang Sally which has to be one of my all time most hated songs yet it's one song that everytime I have heard it played in a bar people get up and start dancing, so I had to learn it the other day.

Have to decide if we are going to do the new RHCP song Raindance Maggie with the band. The bass really drives the song the guitar is pretty minimal.

I'm finishing up Kyrptonite now and am going to start Plush by STP when I'm done.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ok new song thi week is Good - Better than Ezra, didn't know the name until I heard the song then I recognized it. Another pretty easy song but one the singer wants to do.

Have to push Plush to the background for awhile.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5