Skip to content
What Strings Do You...

Notifications
Clear all

What Strings Do You Use On Your Les Paul?

46 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi All, just curious what you LP players use for strings, and, what those strings give you that you were looking for.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member

I use ernie ball regular slinkys for the lp. of course i use ernie ball on everything so.. lol :D

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The trouble with this question is that if you get twenty replies you'll get thirty different answers.

After checking out any number of brands, I use Rotosound yellows.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Me I'm still undecided.. right now I switch between Ernie's 10s' and D'Add XL 10's. I like them both.

What I don't like on my LP is that "New" string sound. I like the broken in string sound better.

I look for durability and length of life. Course I do wipe down my guitars after I play/practice on it.

Strings are a personal preference, Keep trying different brands and types till you find yours. But don't switch sizes. If you go with 10's stick with 10's or you'll have to setup your guitar all over again or have someone do it for you.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I use D'Addarrio XL 10's because 10's are what it came with and I like D'Addarrio's. They break in quick (in my opinion) and last longer than most.

Took trying a lot of strings to settle on them and who knows, I may change again since I am getting ready to try a set of Elixer electrics on them.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I like the Dean Markley's Blue Steel .09's for my LP...Their sound seems to really last a long time and they feel great when playing. I am going out today to get soem for my acoustic (however these will be .11's)...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Gibson Brite Wires. Why? Because they SCREAM on solos!!! IMHO

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The trouble with this question is that if you get twenty replies you'll get thirty different answers.

That makes it all the better. I'd love to hear what people use. I just changed mine last night with some EB 10's. That got me wondering what others use and why they use 'em. Who knows, I might be inspired to go snag a couple different brands next time out.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

D'Addario 10's my self. No real reason why D'Addario, they sound great to me, never bothered to experiment with it. 10's, I just prefer the feel of. 9's are to thin sounding to me.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

D'addario 10's. Used EB 10's before, didn't like 'em. Also, I wrap them around the stop bar at the end - tried it once because I read Zakk Wylde did it because it loosens the tension a bit, haven't stopped since. :)

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

What I don't like on my LP is that "New" string sound. I like the broken in string sound better.

Same here, it sounds too metallic and brite to me. I usually find that I like them best after I've had a good hard practice on them, where they get dirtied up a bit and lose the metallic sound, but are still smooth and easy to play on.

I use D' add XL 10's, didn't experiement much, they have always kept good tuning and sounded good to me.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmmm. Lot's of d'addarios. I'll have to give 'em a shot nest time.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Gibson Brite Wires. Why? Because they SCREAM on solos!!! IMHO

I'm with Tracker on this one.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hmmmmm. Lot's of d'addarios. I'll have to give 'em a shot nest time.

First try the Gibson Brite Wires. :wink: Trust me.................

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, OK. I'll go with some gibsons. 10's?

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4