Skip to content
What Strings Do You...

Notifications
Clear all

What Strings Do You Use On Your Les Paul?

46 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I just use d'arddio because it seems like the standard cheap string. Elixirs and stuff are way too expensive for me, especially if I happen to break a string.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

OK, OK. I'll go with some gibsons. 10's?

I have an '82' and won't go over 10's because it's a set neck.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I also use Gibson Brite Wires. I use 10's. I've also got some Gibson strings designed for humbucker pickups but haven't strung them up yet.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@lacrymosa)

I don't own a LP. I never will. I don't really like them :o

My Recordings

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I asked this very same question when I was a raw newbie. Now I'm a slightly under done newbie.

I like the D'Adds and the Dean Markley's Blue Steels. As for the size I like 9's a tad better than 10's because I find them easier to bend near the nut. Maybe when I get more strength in my fingers I'll move exclusively to 10's.

But I am always open to trying a new brand, and you should be also. (Will have to remeber the Gibs Brite Wires when my current box runs down)

Working in NYC you can spend $6.50 for a tuna fish sandwich for lunch, $8 if you want to wash it down with something. $4 bucks isn't much to ask for in the quest for your tone. Strings last a lot longer than a tuna fish sandwich anyway.

Buy a variety, take notes on everything from break in period, to initial reaction to the sound, to feel, to the length of service. My own experience is that there were very minor differences between the top brands. There was one brand that I took off after just a few days because I felt that they were just plain awful. (Name to withheld as to not prejudgidice your own findings.) As always, enjoy the journey in your search.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@schecter)
Eminent Member

i like the handmade DR strings, they bend easier i think and they feel slick when you put your fingers on them, good tone also

"I’m one of those lucky beginners who never actually makes a mistake." - Chris_C

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't own a LP. I never will. I don't really like them :o

I wish I had thought of that. Thing of the money I'd save not having to buy strings for my LP!!! :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As for the size I like 9's a tad better than 10's because I find them easier to bend near the nut.

I'm with you on that one, but I sure do like the tone out of 10's. My other two have 9's on 'em.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I've been using GHS Boomers -10's. No particular reason other than habit, but after reading the thread, I'm going to try the Gibson Brites and the D'Addarios too.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I've been using GHS Boomers -10's. No particular reason other than habit, but after reading the thread, I'm going to try the Gibson Brites and the D'Addarios too.

GHS Boomer .11's on both the strat and Schecter. Deam Markely blue Steels on the acoustic.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

GHS Boomer .11's on both the strat and Schecter. Deam Markely blue Steels on the acoustic.

I just got these Blue Steels for my acoustic (been using them for a while now on the electric) and I LOVE them...now I love the sound of new strings..at least these strings....and the feel great when playing...

How long have you been using these Twisted?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

The Boomers almost since I started. I bought my acoustic from Nick, here at GN, and he had the Blue steels on it. Liked them and kept them. Been about a year or so now. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

The Boomers almost since I started. I bought my acoustic from Nick, here at GN, and he had the Blue steels on it. Liked them and kept them. Been about a year or so now. :D

How long have you been answering your own questions? :P

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

At least he wasn't referring to himself in the third person. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Been answering my own questions for a long time now. :P Now back to the voices in my head. :lol: :shock:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4