Skip to content
What Strings Do You...

Notifications
Clear all

What Strings Do You Use On Your Les Paul?

46 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I use Gibson Brite Wires, They last a long time and stay in tune and sound great, Another big plus I have noticed with them is they don't break that easy, Very good stings Highly recomend them.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

i like the handmade DR strings, they bend easier i think and they feel slick when you put your fingers on them, good tone also

I'll second the DR's. I haven't used anything else but DR 10's on my Epi LP since I first tried them.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I've been through several brands of strings, and for me it was a pretty easy decision for Dean Markley Blue Steels. I used Boomers for a while, they were fair, I really didn't like DR's, and D'Adds were okay.

The Deans really seemed to have just the right texture for me, and they last for quite a while, which is nice because I have some pretty strong sweat.

I got a tip on some strings recently, I think they were called Pyramids or something. I don't have a local dealer, so I'll see if I can find them online. One of the small shops near me also carries a couple unusual "boutique" types of strings that I might take for a spin.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I use EB super slinky 9's.I'm changing them about every 2 weeks at he moment as they seem to be corroding really fast no matter how much i wipe them down afterplaying.I love the Super Slinkys sound and feel but am looking for something that will last a bit longer.
Anyone got any suggestions?

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I don't own a LP. I never will. I don't really like them :o

Lies!!!! :evil:

jk :D

But as for me...I use D'Addario 9's on my LP

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

I don't own an LP, but a IBANEZ so anyway :D
I use whatever I want to try out because I'm definitely confused. It always needs some "get used to" especially when switching from one extreme to another. (DR to Blue Steel or the other way around)

why oh why are there so many different choices and options... :roll:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just kind of an update. I tried the DMs on my LP and the D-Adds XL on my SG wannabe. Both are impressive. Next stop, Bright Wires.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't own a LP. I never will. I don't really like them :o

wat do you play then.?You don't like LPs well.....start living a new life.DAMMIT get an LP today :wink: :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I still have the factory .09s, I must get it set up with .10s, suspect I'll stay with d'addarios unless someone makes the mistake of paying me to play :roll:

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Epi LP custom....smooth low action, fast neck....

D'Addario 9's.

I want to be able to bend them, and some of the gauges you guys use....hell, you could hold Tower Bridge up with 11's!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I have an SG, which is sort of an LP (was for the first year of manufacture if I remember correctly). I use it for blues, a little rockabilly, some bluesey jazzey kinda stuff, you know the kinda stuff. 9's are a little to loose for me, I'd have to raise the action to avoid slapping the frets during rhythm. 11's hurt my joints after a few days of full step bends. So 10's it is. They're tough to bend close to the nut, so I don't (at least no more than 1/4-1/2 step bends), just slide instead, or move down the fretboard.

I can bear D'add's on this guitar because it's not overly bright, but for those of you who don't like the sound of brand new strings, like me, try nickel strings. The GHS Burnished, Dean Markley Nickel Steels and the DR Blues are all warmer sounding, but you might find you get a little less drive out of the guitar, if that's what's most important to you. The Fender pure nickels (the 150's) are fine. You might also consider going for a wound 3rd or even flatwounds if you're not doing a lot of big bends.

I'm playing some Elixers at the moment, out of curiosity, and they're interesting. They drive this guitar quite a bit, the unwounds are bright, but what I like about them is that the wound strings are the twangiest I've played. I think I'll Keep the wounds on and switch to a different set of unwounds and see how that works out.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

phew.......i think i am better off playing a classical guitar where i only have to be concerned about low or hard tension (and i use hard ) and sound awesome...

Guess i will get mad when i get an electric next yr , also because a hell lot of local strings are available :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Gibson Brite Wires. Why? Because they SCREAM on solos!!! IMHO

I have been using the Gibson Brite Wires too for the same reason as Mike. 8) (I use the 9's) Got a pack of the Gibson "Humbucker" strings, (9's also), this last time to check out. Haven't strung 'em up yet though.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

you know, Vai uses .09s...i read it in guitar player, but it also says during tours he switches to .10s after a few weeks when his fingers get stronger.

Vic, have you tried the higher guages? i think that if you use a higher guage, it just sounds beefier. my '51 came with .09s factory, and i immediately put on .11s, just for kicks and giggles and let me tell you, that guitar screamed out of that amp after i put them on. i had been playing the .09s on it for a few days, as well as .09s on my Ibanez. ive since moved up to .10s on the ibanez.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

I use the GHS Zakk Wylde signatures. Mainly because my LP is never in standard tuning and the heavy guage top strings bring out my lead style. But every now and then I string it back with .10 Brite Wires for standard tuned blues and rock. I think the GHS strings are a bit more comfortable and the Brite Wires last a really long time.

Its really all preference, but I DO NOT USE DEAN MARKLEY BLUE STEELS! They give major major major fret damage! Thats the only strings I will not use.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4