Clear all

What the.....?

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I drove 40 miles to meet this band yesterday that wants a guitarist...cool fine...they sound good, give me a lp to listen to and learn 5 of their songs...ok no prob...got a good repoire goin with them and everything, sounded like they were very into me and everything...so I get an email today saying they already chose another guitarist, the main reason being that they only lived 15 minutes away...WTF?!?!

I didnt even get to audition!!! I am a very good guitarist to!! If Eddie Van Halen lived an hour away, would you turn him down based on location?!?!?

Im so pissed off right now.

I need to learn how to find bands better, cause right now I aint finding much :cry:

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ive considered that, however I have no practice space or anything really...

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

So I drove 40 miles to meet this band yesterday that wants a guitarist...cool fine...they sound good, give me a lp to listen to and learn 5 of their songs...ok no prob...got a good repoire goin with them and everything, sounded like they were very into me and everything...so I get an email today saying they already chose another guitarist, the main reason being that they only lived 15 minutes away...WTF?!?!

I didnt even get to audition!!! I am a very frackin good guitarist to!! If Eddie Van Halen lived an hour away, would you turn him down based on location?!?!? WTF?!?!

I need to learn how to find bands better, cause right now I aint finding much :cry:

No offense, but when you fill your post with terms like "WTF" and "frackin" and "pissed" it really does lower the real estate worth here at GN. And, it doesnt do much to help other posters take you seriously.

As "frackin" good of a guitarist as you may be, chances are that the person they chose was better than you. Plain and simple. Stop beating yourself up about it and just move on.

The best thing that you can do to help with your quest for a band, besides practicing hard to better yourself, is put an add in the paper/on the net/at your school/ect. and start your own band. Even though you dont have practice space "or anything really", whose to say that one of your newfound band members wont? Besides, no space to rehears is the least of your problems right now. First find some members for your band and then worry about finding space...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

You should go up there, and sort it out. That what i would do anyway. They clearly dont expect you to do that. which is why you sould.

ps.
Bring a knuckleduster!
8)

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Ask them If they want to add another guitarist.
And by the way, 40 miles is a bit much...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

If Eddie was a no name guitarist that didnt have a good reputation then yes, I would turn him down. No offense to you if you do have a legendary name (since I dont know you) but most guitarist dont.

But you should start your own band, like others have said. Take members that have space to practice over those that dont, rent a storage shed and practice in there (We did), take members that are more mature over ones that arent, take ones that live closer so you can practice at a moments notice instead of ones that are quite a distance away. Then you're the boss and you wont have to put up with any of it.

Just my two cents
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I didnt even get to audition!!! I am a very frackin good guitarist to!! If Eddie Van Halen lived an hour away, would you turn him down based on location?!?!? WTF?!?!

No offense, but when you fill your post with terms like "WTF" and "frackin" and "pissed" it really does lower the real estate worth here at GN. And, it doesnt do much to help other posters take you seriously.

As "frackin" good of a guitarist as you may be, chances are that the person they chose was better than you. Plain and simple. Stop beating yourself up about it and just move on.

The best thing that you can do to help with your quest for a band, besides practicing hard to better yourself, is put an add in the paper/on the net/at your school/ect. and start your own band. Even though you dont have practice space "or anything really", whose to say that one of your newfound band members wont? Besides, no space to rehears is the least of your problems right now. First find some members for your band and then worry about finding space...

That's very true. You should probably clean up your posts a little.

However, if you are that good of a guitarist, you should have no trouble finding a band. 40 miles is a bit much of a distance. Maybe you should look for someone in your area.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It sounds like they'd already auditioned the guitarist they liked befoe you showed up.

Take this on the chin - that's auditioning for you; there are days where you will be the obvious choice and you still won't get the gig. You write it off to experience.

Starting your own band is an option, but good luck with the next audition if you decide to go that way.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

listen to these people. if there's one thing that musicians are known for, it's diction. if there's a second thing, it's self-control.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I could care less about what musicians are known for. My neice frequents this site often and she gets enough of that stuff from TV. She doesnt need to see it when she logs on to read about guitar playing. If there are any "WTFs" or other stupid cuss word abbreviations in her next email to me, Im gonna freak.

Let the musicians practice their pathetic diction and lack of self-control elsewhere. This is a PG site. Im sure that if we can slave over our instruments with only a metronome for company for hours on end, the least we can do is make our posts decent.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Im sure that if we can slave over our instruments with only a metronome for company for hours on end, the least we can do is make our posts decent.

I'm confused if your frustration is directed at all of us, or the original poster but regardless I totally agree with what you are saying. I think the majority of GN users would agree with you. Speaking of that metronome.. I better get back to the slave driver. :D

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

listen to these people. if there's one thing that musicians are known for, it's diction. if there's a second thing, it's self-control.

ROFLMAO!!!!! :D Yeah..... right! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

As Voodoo just finishes talking about curse word abreviations...

*rolls eyes*

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the posts guys...you are right, I was quite infuriated at the time, but thats life, and I apologize for speaking a bit vulgarily :wink:

My main frustration, is that they were quite unprofessional.The singer did call me later today, and said they were sorry they did it like that though, and that he was going to keep my number in case this guitarist didn't work out (he didn't sound like he was very sure about the guy).

I wont keep my hopes up though...live and learn :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Glad you came to your senses. You will probobly have plenty more oppurtunities, you just have to be on the lookout. If you have to much trouble, then convince your friends to learn. It may take a while till you can play detailed stuff, but a lot of kids have natural talent for the other instruments you would need in a band, mainly bass and drums. I don't know your age, but I'm gonna guess your in school still. Does your school have a band? Recruit the percussionist. Tuba players? They could probobly pick up a bass and figure it out. Hope that helps 8)

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3