what to do after high school?

42 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
10 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

???My son is a sophomore in high school. Is a self taught guitarist. Not just saying this because he's my son, but is has a naturaly raw talent. He's very interested in pursuing an education in music and possibly use this talent to have a career as a guitarist. He's thought about studio work, but we've heard about so many drawbacks in this area. Would like to attend a state school, but they all seem to gear toward classical guitar. Now he can play "Classical Gas" but I don't think that's what they have in mind. HIs playing style in more on the lines of David Gilmour, Jimmie Hendrix, etc. What advice could you give us to help him start planning for after high school.  He shouldn't have any problems being accepted to a state school and possibly receiving scholarships as he maintains a 4.0 GPA consistently and has won the Band Diredtors Award for the music student in the entire school showing the most talent and potential.  Help! I always told my boys to find something you're good at and figure out how to make a living at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry so long! I tend to ramble.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi Laura;

There is a new lesson posted listing a lot of Music Schools, as well as some things to consider.

At this point, the best thing to do it to play with others as much as possible.  Look for local jams and bands looking for guitarists.  This will give your son the opportunity to meet others in the business, and learn more about this industry.

Good Luck!
-Laz

ReplyQuote
 Deva
(@deva)

Why are you planning on a state school already? I'd say encourage a career that DOESN'T involve music, and then have him pursue guitar as a hobby. If he's very good, he'll know what to do. My dad has a saying, "Try not to have a career solely in the arts unless you know you can get rich."

ReplyQuote
(@nycxdanny)

It's one thing to be good (great) playing an instrument, but it's a totally different ballgame, especially to make it into a successful career.  :-/

Danny

And when your castles of sand melt in the sea
Mountains will move with your faith. Steve Vai"

ReplyQuote
 Deva
(@deva)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so hostile! What I mean is: your son has a 4.0. It would be different if, say, he had a 2.7 and the only thing he truly enjoyed was guitar! I think he should pursue another career because he appears ambitious and diligent. THEN if the opportunity comes along where he can make lots of money playing guitar and he wants to do it, he'll have that option, too. :)

ReplyQuote
(@samer_sultan)
Eminent Member

There is more to life than money, i would rather have less money and do what i enjoy, rather than have alot of money and get to do less of what i enjoy, what good is the money any way if you already do somthing you like?

Never turn your back on friends.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have a fairly well-paid job, so there's next to no job satisfaction - I take the view that the less than exciting job pays enough to allow me to do what I enjoy and that makes my guitar and my social life all that more enjoyable.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nycxdanny)

It's all about having the right connections.

Danny

And when your castles of sand melt in the sea
Mountains will move with your faith. Steve Vai"

ReplyQuote
 mog
(@mog)

You're right, most state schools don't have a music program that will teach to his interests.  Also, even if he can get into the Universtiy, he'll probably have problems getting into the music school.  There are often some pretty stringent auditions to get in, especially at private school but also at state schools.  Depending on his major, he may have to submit compositions, play in front of a sort of a juries, classial style, or God knows what else.  If he's serious about a music major, get solid info on the best income he can hope to make (even the best studio musicians don't make much, ususally), and get him a private teacher.

ReplyQuote
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member

I'd say the only thing that matters in such situations is what your son wants to do.
A friend of mine has no talent absolutely in drawing, but that's what he likes to do. He is abroad now, studying what he likes, and he is the best student in his university, despite the fact that the other students all are more talented than him.
Another friend of mine was too worried about money so he went to business and economics school. He is extremely unhappy. He wanted to become a director.
Money is never an issue. Money is the last thing one should care for. Initially, we created money to help us exchange goods. Now, we have reached a state where people strive for more and more money and they don't seem to know what to do with it (at the same time, at some other part of the globe, people can't find food...).
So if this is what he really wants, let him do it. I'm sure you can find plenty of information about music colleges in your country. I think that even if he doesn't attend a music school, if he meets people and gets in touch with people involved in music, he'll find his way. It all depends on what he wants to do...

Cheers

Johann Sebastian Bass

ReplyQuote
(@preamy)

There is more to life than money, i would rather have less money and do what i enjoy, rather than have alot of money and get to do less of what i enjoy, what good is the money any way if you already do somthing you like?

I couldn't agree with you and BrotherJack more.

Far too many people I know are trapped into a materialistic way of thinking only to become unhappy with their life. With a typical career you spend most of your life working, so if it isn't something you love doing, you'll be bored your whole life. Not to mention the 'what if' feeling.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I too wanted to pursue a career in music after I graduated from highschool.  I went to college, majored in music (same situation).  My original plan was to try and make it big in a band, and due some sort of studio work or teaching on the side until I got my big break.  I soon realized (wised up) that having a music related job that would pay the bills was an extreme long shot.  Unfortuantly, there are very very few people that get paid for doing what they love.   As I said, I wised up, joined the military for a while then went to law school.  Now, I have a real job, I support my family, I pay taxes, and I play guitar almost every day.  I have also put togther a band.  We all know that it is highly unlikely the band will make it big enough so that we can quit our day jobs.  Don't get me wrong, I highly support the arts and I think your son should pursue music.  However, I stongly suggest that he first concentrate on his education (reading, math, science, etc.), then find a job that will pay the bills and keep him off welfare, and  pursue music at the same time (not just as a hobby but as a passion).  

ReplyQuote
(@lovesnatalie)

Hey all,

First of all.. I am only 17 and in Highschool.. I have a 0.957 GPA.. I don't have that grade because I am stupid or slow.. I have it because I am lazy.. My test scores show that I should be getting grades well above 4.0 and I should be in AP classes all around.
I know that I can't have a career in music that will pay the bills and all that ish.. Not for now atleast..
I agree with most of everything that has been said so far.. But don't take it personally.. We aren't trying to be hostile and say that you are stupid in thinking any of this will work.. But we all know how much of a longshot it is trying to make it the rest of your life on playing the guitar.. Now.. If your son wants to become a music instructor, then by all means help and support him.. But if he wants to play guitar for a living in a band or as a solo artist, help him develope a backup plan. He needs somewhere to fall just incase something doesn't work out. I know that if he wants this career bad enough that he will get it.. Its the same with everyone. Especially me. If I want it bad enough then I will go for it.. Which is proven through my test scores against my actual GPA.. I've 'wised up' and I have started getting my grades all sorted out.. Now I have a 4.0 in my current classes and I am getting my GED next year because I wasted all my highschool..
Bottom line.. If he wants to go the easy way and join a band and make it big, he isn't ready to go there. If he is planning to go to college for music and perhaps a teaching degree, then he has got a good head on his shoulders. Music classes aren't only for people who plan on playing music in a stadium for a career, there are other options that you'd have in that situation.. Consider them all.. And most of all, communicate with your son and make sure you know what he wants..

P.S- I love guitar! And I am not totally screwed, I am goin into a 2 year college and then onto a university.. God knows what for though.

ReplyQuote
(@forrest)
Trusted Member

:)Hi Laura. I'm from England so don't really understand much about your academic grading systems. What I am interested in is what your son has to say himself about his future career. Is he a member of the forum, if not, please encourage him to have his say. At the end of the day the choices are his. I'm sure you have a great influence over him but he has to decide and weigh up what's best for him.
                           Trisha. x

ReplyQuote
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

I want to be happy so I'm gonna play and write or die tryin'. But hopefully it won't come to that 'cos then I definately won't be able to play.

There are advantages and disadvantages of working in and out of the music industry. Make sure your son is happy, that is what matters most of all. But hungry and happy is better than fat and miserable.

And to Deva: for some people music as a hobby just isn't enough, some like to live it.

Good Luck.

Pete :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3