what to do after high school?

42 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hello Laura,
If your son is truly interested in making a living as a musician I would suggest you son does not pursue an education in  music (as you stated in your post) but persue an education in the music business instead. There is a difference. A "state school" will focus on art (which has nothing to do with making a living), while a good music school will focus on making a living in the business. There are many to chose from but you may not find one near your home. Schools like MI or LAMA in Los Angeles or Berklee are great choices in the states. The first two would probably be considered vocational schools (vocation is the key word) the latter, a college. The goals of these schools are to prepare the students to survive in the biz. Musicians must wear many hats to make ends meet. The ones that make a living at guitar usually do studio work, tours, teach. I know very few musicians who only do studio stuff. I think becoming a pro guitarist is a good career choice. Approach education the same way you would for any other career, check what the track records are for the graduates of each and every school. You will find that the Universities have poor track records.

ReplyQuote
(@teen_guitarist)

>:(I may only be 14, but I know one thing's for sure: I'd rather live a poor life filled with music than a rich life wihtout it. Why are adults so cynical about dreams? Education, education, education. What good does it do if it makes your life miserably? If all the famous singers in the world believed the people who said "You'll never make it" there wouldn't be any famous singers! As far as I'm concerned, to hell with math and science, I'm going to do what I love in life and if I don't "make it" I couldn't care less, I'll be happy.
How about some encouragement to be yourself and pursure your dreams? I have next to none of that in my life, and maybe that's why so many people give up along the way.

"After Changes upon changes, we are more or less the same." Paul Simon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I know this kid who's an exceptional pianist, self-taught and all. Once when his mother tried to persuade him to major in something regular and not go to a music college, he told her, "I'd rather spend all my life in a bug-infested attic than work in a cubicle for 25 years like you!" He's currently reconsidering what he said.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I only started playing the guitar for chicks.

Well, one girl in particular, never did i think that i would be in a band.

The music business is so up and down.

Dont let him be a guitarist.

Let him be a producer.

Anyone hear how much the Neptunes/Missy Elliot/Timbaland/Jim Steinman/Rick Ruben make...

Thats where the longevity is.

If hes good, he'll go far.

If he wants a band, hes got the skills to do it all.

Good luck.

Music is my life, and i wouldnt deprive anyone of it.

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@ericf89)

Jesus, listen to [email protected]
he stated this is a great way:

"So die hungry, not miserable."

When it all comes down to it, regret is something very real. Would you rather sit back when you are 70 years old and say "my son has a family and makes a large sum of money. his family will never have to worry about being hungry." or are you going to say "my son has a family and loves every bit of his job. its great because it brings him happily home to his family. he might have to work some more years, but thats not entirely a bad thing."

i hope theres a way to achieve the bests of both. just remember that living a dream is a great thing. i think families with content parents during the day are much more successful @ home.

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I totally agree with teen guitarist.  Regardless of what you want your son to do or be in life, always keep his interests and dreams in mind.  If he really wants to make a living playing guitar, and I mean really wants it more than anything else, then he will find a way to do it.  No force inside of a human brain is stronger than a dream.  Sure, maybe the odds of a person making it in the music industry are one in a thousand.  But if a person really has the motivation and desire to do it, they will work so hard to be that one person, and they will make it.

ReplyQuote
(@teen_guitarist)

Thank you, kc13088! At least someone knows what I'm talking about!

What's up with this talk or "letting him be a producer"? Hello? The kid wanted to be a guitarist, and producer is a totally different occupation. Let him go after his calling, and plus, what he wants to be is the kid's choice, not his mother's, or his father's, or his dear old Auntie's. Let him go his own way, it's a parent's job to support him and back him up, not choose for him.

And the actual odds are 1 in every 20 musicians will be successful. My music teacher told us that after reading some poll. Not bad statistics. And come on, guys . . . since when is money and fame everything? It can't buy happiness.

ReplyQuote
(@marcm)

Well, im also asking myself what to do after HS.
Here we have high school for 4 years (15 - 19y),
and then, every individual has to decide what he wants to do in his life (thats unfair, i guess!). My mother tells me to find something that brings money, instead of music:).
But i say, that there's no money on this world that could persuade me to change 200 people singing with me and applauding to ME, with a few bucks and misery that comes with money. So i'll probably stick with music, cause it brings me pleasure that no money can't buy.
Everyone should realize, that there are up's and down's to music career, but if you love music, you'll play until your fingers can pick the strings and sing until you can!
It depends on each and every one of you, i guess,
I know i will.

Peace

God is a concept, by which we measure our pain - J.L.

ReplyQuote
(@teen_guitarist)

Exactly. I admire every single person who believes in themselves and pursues their dreams no matter what the cost, whether they fail or make millions.

My motto for all of this? "Do what you love, love what you do."  ;)

Oh, and by the way MarcM, (this has nothing to do with this topic, but still. . . ) I love the little saying you have from John Lennon at the end of your post . . . that's from the song "God", isn't it? I'm a huge fan of him, so I just thought I'd mention it.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Your son is in the same grade as me and has similar musical influences and goals as I do!

Except my grades aren't quite that good.  And I don't have any natural talent.

But I have already removed all alternative (non-music) lifestyles from my pool of possiblities.  My plan is to be very good by the time I graduate from high school and have had some experience with jams, gigs, and being in a band.

By that time I will also read music quite well so I will look for studio work and save my parents money because they won't have to send me to college hahahahahahaha.

They'll see. (or I will)

From the studio I form a legendary band and do legendary things with it.

Or I'll die trying but oh well.

So if you talk to your son and he is crazy like me, it would be best for him to let him go where he wants if he proves he has the determination and work ethic to get there.  I would feel awful if my parents tried to crush my guitar life.

Anyway, I doubt that helps, but I had to say it!

ReplyQuote
(@teen_guitarist)

:)Bravo! Well said, well said. And hey! If you can't read music well enough, there's always tab . . .

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

:)Bravo! Well said, well said. And hey! If you can't read music well enough, there's always tab . . .

Tab isn't gonna cut it for all-round session guitarists. It will work fine if you are just in a band, and write your own stuff. But if you suddenly have to play a piece you never heared before, you'll HAVE to be able to read music.

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I loved my short musical career, but I had to wise up.  It's hard to support a family on the money that goes with music.  teen_guitarist said 1 in 20?  is that on the local scene? because it shure ain't one in twenty that make it to the majors.  You just can't make enough money on the local scene to feed a hungry family.  Or even teaching lessons or studio work.  Just my take on it though

ReplyQuote
(@teen_guitarist)

I don't know if it was local scene or not, I heard it on TV.

And I don't have a hungry family to worry about, and I'm not going to. I guess it is hard if you're a father/mother and married, but for someone young, ambitious, single, unattached to anything and willing to sacrifice, I think it's great to go for it.

Perhaps the statistics were if you are signed to a record label. Honestly, I have not a clue ???

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Just remember that your parents faced the same decisions (inspired by Elvis, the Beatles, the other bands in the 50s and 60s); they could have been musicians (remember all the girl-bands from Motown?).  But they decided to be like everyone else: get a job, buy a home, and have kids - that'd be you!

But what do they know?  They're OLD!

-Laz
(a parent - and old)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3