Clear all

WHat to do for first Gig

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@whitelightning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

me and my friends have formed a band, and are trying to get are first gig . Any idea where to look for a gig, and what to do on sage, we play songs by rage against the machine, and some of the songs I rote. Also what are some good set of monitors that are around 200 bucks.

the most influential guitarist to my style is Tom Merello.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

me and my friends have formed a band, and are trying to get are first gig . Any idea where to look for a gig, and what to do on sage,

Good tips here: http://www.musiccareers.net/working-bands/gigging-like-a-pro/
And here: http://www.musiccareers.net/working-bands/importance-of-a-contract/
The whole site has excellent articles, so it will be worth your while to spend time there.
. Also what are some good set of monitors that are around 200 bucks.

We're using these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPC12M-12-Monitor-Speaker-Cabinet-with-Horn?sku=600818

Good solid cabs, and they sound good. Normally MF sells 'em for $119 each. I got mine last time they were on sale.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Totally unrelated to what my skill level is, it will be a very long time, if ever before I play any kind of gig though it is a fantasty and dream, but just a curiosity (who me, curious!? :lol: )...

How, how much, when and where do you guys practice and rehearse for a gig. My former teacher has a band: a bassist, rhythm, lead, drummer, vocalist, keyboard... I guess a typical bar band. I never asked about their rehearsals but I am curious. He does teaching and playing exclusively as his livelihood. He once made a comment about being intimidated by playing a Bach selection and being videoed at a wedding; he said in a bar full of drunks it didn't matter if they flubbed once in a while. :?

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@whitelightning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

this is what we have in our band lead singer guitarist (me) bassist and a drummer. We practice 2 times a week, i would be 3, but one fridays, we just goof of and play my wii, poker, or airsoft. we live practicaly in the middle of now where, philly is about 60 miles away. I guess that is a plus :roll:, i can possibly get a gig there, maybe

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

How, how much, when and where do you guys practice and rehearse for a gig.

For us, it's split two ways:
Practicing our parts and learning the basic song structures is expected to get done outside of rehearsal.

That means we can use rehearsal for working on:

• Tweaking arrangements

• Timing

• Working out vocal harmonies

• stagecraft and showmanship

• visual or aural cues to get us in and out of free form "jam sections" in a song

• anything and everything that else we need to execute together, as a band
  • I practice every day, even if it's just 5 minutes of chords and scales
    The band has one 3 hour rehearsal each week

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
    (@whitelightning)
    Eminent Member
    Topic starter  

we just write our songs, practice them, and then goof of, i mean we are all 15 so what do you expect :lol: . any way the biggest gig I have been at a local club kind of thing called the hanger, thers was about 100 people, i was the vocals, and guitarist for a punk band, but i barley got to actualy play guitar, because there was already another guitarist. :evil: i normaly jump around on stage and look like a moron :wink:

ReplyQuote
    (@minotaur)
    Noble Member

Thanks guys! :D

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote