Notifications
Clear all

Whatever happened to Richie Blackmore?

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

I don't know how many of you guys know this, but I found out this morning.

The man who wrote Smoke On the Water is playing folk: http://www.myspace.com/blackmoresnight1

It's actually not bad.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yeah, it sounds pretty good. I was talking about it with a friend some months ago. Knopfler was also playing americana with Emmylou Harris (by the way, cool DVD). I guess it is a kind of evolution.

http://www.blackmoresnight.com/

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

I really like it, I've not heard this before. Thanks for posting this link.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Yeah I know.... I can't say I'm 100% keen it is okay though but just not really for me.

I have never seen Deep Purple though I probably would have made the effort if Blackmore had still been in the band, MKII is my absolute favourite line up and each album they did was great and a little different from the last (Fireball is often rated low but I love it as well, was the first DP album I heard in full so maybe that's why I adore it so). I think Steve Morse is great - technically he surpasses Blackmore but no-one has the feel like Ritchie.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I read an interview with him a few years ago in acoustic magazine, not quite sure its folk, more medieval stuff with period instruments and such.

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Realy, seems I heard something of this. It's his party.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It's his party.

The voice of reason! TR's right...who cares what he does, he's earned it.

Christmas Eve 1968 or 69 DP played in NYC at The Electric Circus. This place was a unique setup...tiny stage, small venue...lots of tables and chairs...even hollowed-out hexagons in the walls to crawl in.

NOBODY showed up...it was Christmas Eve, after all. Still, DP played for the half-dozen that were in the club...but they didn't gig as you'd expect. They sat at the edge of the stage among all of us...and RB had an acoustic. I remember the night well...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

It's his party.

The voice of reason! TR's right...who cares what he does, he's earned it.

I don't care.

Yes he can do what he wants, but to me he will always be the rock guitarist who's phrasing, skill and speed were light years ahead of his time. He was so instrumental in how rock progressed and I doubt Blackmore's night will ever really appeal to me (however when I get older I might appreciate it). I suppose the thing is when you have been in a band so long you get tired of the songs, tired of playing the same stuff (though Ritchie never really played anything the same way twice) and you develop as a person there's so much stuff I used to like that I hardly play now except on the odd occasion where I feel nostalgic. It is probably better to admit to yourself and everyone else that you don't like playing that music anymore and become a nostalgia act. Kirk Hammet (Metallica) admit's he's not even into the music he plays anymore and prefers to play jazz, I suppose Metallica is just too much of a cash cow to turn it down and I suppose he wants to make the fans happy (it wouldn't be Metallica without him).

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Trust me it's an age thing. I used to be into synth pop big style, never liked rock or folk. Now Im an old fart Im suddenly into rock, blues, folk, classical guitar (always liked that to be honest ) Now I'm discovering legendary rock guitarists!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

A personal observation that I have made and it may not be true but, it seems like after awhile no matter what they are playing although it seems to be more of the rock guys they eventually tire of that and seem to all gravitate towards jazz.

I think that after awhile they find that rock music for the most part isn't challenging enough for them.

I agree with Flea there is so much stuff even in my limited amount of playing that I never want to play again.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

A personal observation that I have made and it may not be true but, it seems like after awhile no matter what they are playing although it seems to be more of the rock guys they eventually tire of that and seem to all gravitate towards jazz.

I think that after awhile they find that rock music for the most part isn't challenging enough for them.

I agree with Flea there is so much stuff even in my limited amount of playing that I never want to play again.
Trust me, what Blackmore is doing aint jazz! ;)
But yea when get older we tend to like stuff that, when we were younger, we dismissed as crap!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't know I never listened to his stuff.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote