Notifications
Clear all

What's in your gig bag?

29 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

The wife and I did a few Sunday afternoon's in the park last Summer. I have a backpack style gigbag, carrying 1 tuner, 1 extra battery (9V), 1 extra pick and holder, 1 pack of extra strings, 7 harmonicas in a pouch and my harp rack and the guitar of course.
I can slip that on and jump on my bike (bicycle) and ride down to the park nice and simple. The wife throws a song book and some bottle water in her bike basket and away we go.
My Sunday service setup requires my electric guitar bag with extra cable, my harmonica case with Pignose and extra cable, and a backpac with 6 harp belt and rack, music binder and Digitec pedal.
Not quite so grab and go friendly.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

It's always better to have something you don't need, than to need something you don't have!!!

True.

But 4 tuners???
That's taking the boy scout preparedness a bit far, innit?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What a great thread. I've only taken my guitars past the driveway about three times. I'm going to Fla in 4 days though and will be bringing at least one rig. This whole thread will help with the packing list. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I got a pick in my pocket...

For gigging I also carry spare strings (2 packs minimum), string winder, capo, tuner, leads (always a spare, too), batteries if I'm using pedals, multipurpose tool thingymajig. Think that's it. I'm crap at slide, so never play it out. Oh, and I also take my mics n leads if there's gonna be mics used anywhere - the amount of times one has broken/been forgotten, it's worth it, and earns me a good rep as a troubleshooter. :wink:

Oh yeah, these days, I also take my (now rather hefty) book of jazz standards. I invariably end up mostly playing tunes I don't know. I also have the Real Book on my iPhone so I can access chord changes there if necessary, too. Only does chords, and doesn't have as many tunes on it, but it does have the advantage of allowing you to transpose the charts to any key, which can sometimes be handy (esp when the chart is packed with changes).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got a flat pick in my pocket, and I haven't played with one for years.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's always better to have something you don't need, than to need something you don't have!!!

True.

But 4 tuners???
That's taking the boy scout preparedness a bit far, innit?

Maybe - but I can always make a bit of cash on the side telling 4tunes......

I usually just take a couple with me - even though my amp's also got a built in tuner.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

all my jeans that have that tiny little pocket inside tthe regular pocket has a pick in it. always handy. the pants go through the wash and the pick never comes out. my permanent pick-pocket. :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

This morning I had something extra in my case, a set of tiny precision screwdrivers. I restrung my spider reso last night, and it started buzzing. I put 13s on it, and I think it had 12s before, so the spider tension screw needed adjusting. Didn't have time to do it at home.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've several bags, and one or more go along depending upon the type o' gig. Lately, all the larger stuff -- extra pedals and cables critical to my electric playing, as well as acoustic pup and pocket recorder go into a very identifiable yellow backpack wheelie thing. The PA cables, mini- mixer, mics/cables, ext cords/power strips go into the green wheelie.

And I have the usual bag of strings, harps, slides, picks, batteries, tools, tuners (yeah, got several types of small incl cheapo to lend), and lately, even a capo. Gotta say that the best recent addition to any of my bags has been superglue for those emergency fingertip and nail repairs.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Alright guys, thanks to all of yooze, I'm all set for a trip out of town tomorrow. Talk to ya in week or so. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Strings , straps , picks , towel , flashlight , setlists , screwdriver , lyrics , lead cord , coughdrops , microphones , microphone mount for amp stand , Swirlygig , pick holder , MP3 player and the kitchen sink .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

Since I've been playing acousstic more than electric these days,I keep it pretty simple. A couple of picks(depending on the guitar),a tuner,and a capo.I haven't broke a string in over twenty years.If I do a gig,then I'll take a back up guitar.

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

...flashlight...

Thanks -- I forgot that I can't see anything under almost any kind of stage lighting! I retrieved my old gig-light, which I think will even clip onto a music stand. 8)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@shredguy_deluxe)

lots of spare picks, a couple of packs of strings, a spare strap, two leads, and generally a slim paperback for those dull bits during setting up and soundchecking ;) Actually, *checks bag* my dad's ancient pitch pipes are in there too. He gave me those when I first started playing :)

My Dad was a gigging guitarist for decades, and his gig bag (not the guitar cases he carried) was a constant source of fascination for me as a child. It was this big leather bag, battered and travel-scarred, full of all manner of old gear including his original CryBaby, leads that seemed to go on forever, and all kinds of arcane equipment that I would soon discover was all rather mundane ;)

666, the number of the beast... Hell and fire was spawned to be released...
...or we could just get a pizza.
=====
Download a Free Learn to Play Guitar eBook

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2