Skip to content
What's the differen...

Notifications
Clear all

What's the difference between a classical and a flamenco ?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know it's probably a stupid question. I know they both have wide necks and nylon strings,but that's about my limit. I would like to get a Cordoba classical,one of the good ones as my next purchase.When I look at them online,both of the guitars look alike to me. I heard that the classsical was more durable,but I just want to know the difference.

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

The flamenco has much lower action because of the percussive style, there is also guard of sort around the sound hole because of the style as well.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Those guards Gchord mentioned are called golpeadores (tap plates). The other big difference is the wood: flamenco guitars are traditionally made of Spanish cypress. Classical guitars are usually topped with spruce or cedar, and usually have rosewood or mahogany backs and sides.

Traditionally, the tuners on flamenco guitars were tuning pegs (like on a violin). But classical guitar tuners - roller tuners through a slotted peghead - have become much more common in the last 25 years or so.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Sometimes the body of the flamenco guitars is smaller (but just a little bit) and the shape is also different.

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Another wood that is used on some of the less expensive flamencos are Sycamore. As far as classicals being more durable than flamencos - I don't believe that. I mean if you watch some flamenco players, becuase of the percussive playing style, they really put their guitars through some punishment, slapping and hitting the top lik a drum at times! This is the reason for the tap plates (golpeadores). Don't limit your guitar search to just classicals only, there are some very nice and similar playing flamencos out there, especially in the Cordoba price range ($500 ~ $1500). I owned a Yamaha flamenco that just played and sounded better than some of the classicals in the same price range so I bought that and used it for both spanish and classical music. I think once you start to get up into the hand made flamencos ($4000 ~ up) will you notice the more "traditional" dry, less sustain, flamenco sound. Play them both and get what your hands and ears like better.

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The top will be thinner, too.

We played a Spanish night last year and "Los Palomas" - a local flamenco group - came along. I had a feel of the guitar their chap had brought along, it was extremely light and you could almost see the top bending when you pressed it

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote