Skip to content
What's the word on ...

Notifications
Clear all

What's the word on these "Fretless guitars"?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpinjones)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i've seen a demonstration on youtube of a guy playing a fretless electric guitar built by a french company, i was wondering how common this type of guitar is, i realise fretless basses are old news but a fretless guitar is something i've only ever imagined. Have any of you ever played one? i'm just curious on the whole subject, quite frankly i want to play with one but i haven't a clue where to find one especially here in the middle of nowhere haha, i could buy one over the internet... one day... but why risk it to find it's just not for me. please voice your opinions.

So you're telling me i can sing AND play guitar at the same time.....? Since when?

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I built one - its fun. The sound is alot like a slide sound - do you like that sound? you might like it. Not very useful really just a fun novelty for me. They aren't difficult to play.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpinjones)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i love the slide sound, if i go fretless (lets say build one) i would want to just replace the fret board with an alloy finger board but what would you recomend? from what i understand a harder board makes better sustain.

So you're telling me i can sing AND play guitar at the same time.....? Since when?

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I just pulled the frets on an older strat neck and filled it with hardwood inserts.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if you have a bolt-on electric, you can order a fretless neck and replace it with a screwdriver. i'm not sure what kind of varieties there are in neck joints, so i'd check first, but that's another way to do it.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpinjones)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

oh no way? thank you. I'll have to look into this.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I know a guy that pulls the frets & has them filled......in fact, he plays two slides on one hand

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

ring slides?

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

If you're that interested, I would buy a $30 neck from GFS - in fact - if you Email them I know they have some slotted/ unfretted necks right now - get some tuners and try it before you go investing $300 on a frettless neck. Filling the frets is as simple as gluing wooden shims into the slots - sanding and finishing with a coat of poly. $50 dollars and an afternoon of work and you're ready to rock.

ReplyQuote