Skip to content
When Do I Know I'm ...

Notifications
Clear all

When Do I Know I'm Ready to Start Doing Gigs?

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about four and a half years, been in my choir at church for almost that long and now I direct the choir. I have a repertiore of about 40-50 songs (outside of church, that is). When I accompany myself singing, though, I don't do much besides basic strumming- maybe throw a few riffs in here and there between the vocal lines. Still working on doing some thinkgs to make the guitar more interesting. . I have written about a dozen songs, all this past year, and have got some good feedback on them

I been working hard on my vocals lately- actually been taking lessons for the past six months. Decided to put priority on that part right now because that's what people seem to really tune into. (My motto right now is- "It's the vocals, stupid.") I record myself a lot but it is difficult for me to judge myself as far as vocal quality, even listening to recordings. I do notice my vocals and guitar both suffer somewhat when I play and sing at the same time. I may be a bit inconsistent on the vocals. Sometimes I think they sound good- sometimes not.

I'd like to get out and start doing some playing solo out in public, but I'm not sure if I am really ready. My plan right now is to look for opportunities. I have done some open mikes until a month or so ago when the only place in the area that had an open mike went out of business. Other than that, I am asking people to consider me for private parties and the like. I played at a football tailgate about a month ago. I'm not asking for money at this point. I'm volunteering to play gigs for free just to get the gexperience and to see what kind of feedback I get (from the audience- not my equipment !).

My goal is to try to get about 2-3 gigs a month- even if they don't pay just yet. However, it's been tough finding more than say one opportunity a month right now. One issue I fight is that most of my friends remember me when I was first getting started 4 years ago and can't get over the picture of me when I was a rank beginner, and much worse than I am now. Dobn't kow if anyone else out there has had to face that.

Anyhow, when do you know if you're really ready? I am wondering if I am pushing too soon to get out there and should instead spend more time polishing my act before taking it live.

Just wondering what you all think about this question. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who has wondered about whether otr not they are "ready"- for prime or un-prime time.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

In my brief experience, you'll never know when your really ready!
I did my first open mike in July and I only picked up a guitar and started learning to sing at Christmas... was I ready? Not really.... Am I ready now to still be doing gigs? Probably not... Do I enjoy it? Hell yes!

Take Friday for example, I went out for a couple of beers with some friends, ended up going into a pub that just by chance had an open mike on, my friends hadn't heard me play before and we're eager to here me so I went up to do three songs, and ended up doing four cause I was enjoying it that much (even though I made A LOT of mistakes). My friends seemed to enjoy it too, and I didn't get beer thrown at me either :D.

My point is, only do it if you really want to, and you feel you will enjoy it... of course you will be nervous the first time, but you should WANT to be up there, and WANT to go back up there when you've finished...

Use the nerves, don't fear them :)

FYI

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You've done some open mics? Then you already have started gigging, and are dealing with many of the challenges any solo gig will present. Don't minimize that, as it's a big step in itself.

But now you probably are thinking about playing 20- or 30-tunes gig, right? That is a somewhat different animal in that you need to have more stamina, be more unflappable in the face of mistakes (more will be made due to greater exposure time), display a bit of a stage personna, learn to deal with the usual equipment emergencies (e.g. broken strings) and be prepared to deal with requests, occasional jerks and wannabe accompanyists . All these are much less likely during a relatively brief open mic stint. If you think you can handle most of that, you probably are better prepared than 90% of the solo performers out there. Go to it!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'd say that if you have enough songs for a full set and can play them well, and the equipment (or if the venue has the equipment), then go for it.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you can get from the start of a song to the end without messing up too badly, you're ready to take it out on the street.

Pity about the open mic place, those are great ways to try out your material in public amongst friends.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you have 40-50 songs that you can play and sing well, you are ready to gig.

And I wouldn't sell yourself short by not asking for money. If you play a club for free, then you are just setting yourself up to be taken advantage of. Hauling gear to a club, setting it up, playing several sets, packing up and hauling gear home is a lot of work, and you should get paid for it. Bands and musicians keep people in the club, they keep a lively atmosphere going. Club owners know this and this is why literally millions of clubs pay bands money every weekend. They don't do that because they like giving their money to bands. :roll:

No, bands and musicians make money for the club, so you should be paid for your hard work.

Sit down and figure out 3 sets of music. Each set is usually at least an hour, so depending on the length of song, you need anywhere from 12-20 songs per set. Burn yourself a demo CD and make a brochure with your name, number, and set list prominent. Visit some clubs in your area (from 5-7 PM is a good time), introduce yourself and hand out your card and brochure. If you have a chance take a player with you and play a few of your best songs. Otherwise they just throw your CD in a drawer with all the others. ASK for a gig. The big excuse you will run into is that they are already booked for the next month or so. If they say that, ask them to get their calender and find the next open date.

If they go get the calender, YOU HAVE THE GIG. No matter what date they give you, tell them you will take it. You will get the gig. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

If you know enough tunes to get you through the night, and if the songs are appropriate for the gig you are after, you are ready.

A little advice. Don't play for free unless it is a charity that you believe in. You've worked hard practicing and building your repertoire, you deserve to be paid for it.

If you go to a restaurant and get a new waiter/waitress, do you still leave a tip? I hope so.

And you are right, the voice is the most important musical instrument in pop music. If you are an adequate singer, and you can at least get by on guitar, you are doing as well as a lot of people who are gigging.

I started gigging in Junior High School. I got in a little rock band, we were terrible, but so was everybody else in those days. So there I was on stage, playing music with my buddies, having the time of my life, and that cute girl who wouldn't look at me in English class was suddenly making eyes at me --- and at the end of the night, they actually paid me money!!!!!!!!!!

I was hooked, and here I am, middle aged, and I've done nothing but music to make a living for the majority of my life. Life is good.

So get out there and gig.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sounds good, folks. Thanks for all of the feedback. Looks like I am ready to get out there after all.

I don't have a problem with nervousness on stage; I got over that about one minute into my first open mike session, and I realize that there are going to be a-holes out there and so I am prepared to deal wth them. After all, I have had to deal with a number of acquantences who still tell me I suck because they remember what I sounded like four years ago when I just getting started and they can't get over that image. (or maybe they are just jealous, I don't know.) So I focus on the nine out of ten who give me positive feedback.

And as far as money is concerned, don't get me wrong, I'd never consider playing a club for free. The free gigs I was referring to is strictly for private parties- friends houses and for social clubs that I am a member of. The reason for that is just to get practice playing for an audience until I can get some paying gigs. One thing I did was to offer a three-hour gig for a silent auction charity fund-raiser. It didn't bring in a lot of money but it did bring in some and it will give me another opportunity to get some practice.

So, thanks for the suggestions- I have been thinking seriuously about doing a CD demo. Think I'll focus onnthat and some promotional material and start beating the bushes. I personally know a few club owners in town so maybe they will be amenable. As far as the CD- I suppose it doesn't have to be done ina professional studio? I have a Lexicon Omega tied into my PC with Audacity recording software. I use it to record myself practicing and it seems to do a nice enough job.

And how much to charge? I have talked to a few folks who do solo gigs around town and the going rate seems to be in the neighborhood of $125-150 for a three hour gig.

Regards,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

I just wanted to say that I have been gigging a long time and I am still trying to see if I am ready! You can nickle and dime yourself to death, but like some of the others said: If you like doing it, do it until no one wants to hear you.

And then keep on doing it.

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Good Luck for your gigs !

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

I just wanted to say that I have been gigging a long time and I am still trying to see if I am ready! You can nickle and dime yourself to death, but like some of the others said: If you like doing it, do it until no one wants to hear you.

And then keep on doing it.

Amen Brother!

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

And how much to charge? I have talked to a few folks who do solo gigs around town and the going rate seems to be in the neighborhood of $125-150 for a three hour gig.

How much you make depends on how many people you draw. I figured it out years ago, you get about $5 a head. If you can get 50 people to come in and stay all night, you get about $250. If you can draw 200 people and get them to stay, clubs will be happy to pay you a grand. 8)

But $125-150 to start out is a good price to get your foot in the door. If you are good and start to draw a crowd, then you up your price.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I figured it out years ago, you get about $5 a head. If you can get 50 people to come in and stay all night, you get about $250. If you can draw 200 people and get them to stay, clubs will be happy to pay you a grand.

Interesting, Wes, I'd never heard that rule of thumb. That would mean $100-150 would be equivalent to 20-30 people, which sounds right for starters. And it makes sense, because a club owner should rake in more than that on the average patron who would stay for about 3 hours.

Regards,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@moonshine)
Eminent Member

I'm in Lafayette (about an hour away) and think that you could probably look around here for a gig too. There are a good bit of restaurant/bar type of places that I've seen with solo guitarists playing.
Drop me a PM if you happen to land anything out this way, I'd be happy to come by and support you!

ReplyQuote
(@snarble84)

The most basic answer is when you can play through your songs perfect without needing to focus to hard on what you are doing.

I have played classical guitar concerts in front of people who are critiquing your every move and I felt confident playing in front of them.

ReplyQuote