Skip to content
When you first star...

Notifications
Clear all

When you first started playing guitar...what was your dream?

58 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

OK, then.

(I'll pass on observing the 3 wives part.)
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

OK, then.

(I'll pass on observing the 3 wives part.)
:lol: The first two didn't understand their position in the family structure. They were actually under the impression that they were more important than my guitars :wink:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Let's see...

1972/1973: when I first wanted to learn guitar I wanted to be George Harrison, Keith Richards, Jimi Hendrix or any number of other guitar 'gods' of that era. Didn't work out and I quit. What do you expect of a 12 or 13 year old. :)

1976: Think I'm going to be Ted Nugent or Brian May. Again, I quit in disgust.

1984: I want to learn to read music and play some songs by R.E.M., U2, Tom Petty, etc... I have a great time learning with my instructor and really get into guitar for about two years. Met my wife to be, have kids, get really involved in career... oh my, the guitars and amp get stored in a closet.

2005: My 10 year old son wants to learn guitar. Hmmm... didn't I used to (kind of) play at one time? :wink: Start lessons with my son (and then six months later, my 13 year old daughter). Back to learning to read, playing music, jamming with friends and coworkers. Whoa! This is loads of fun :D

So here I am at 46. It only took me 30+ years, but I now have the patience and understanding that I may not become the next Jimi Hendrix or SRV, but I'm having fun learning and playing guitar *and* sharing a common interest with two of my kids.

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Like many of my generation I wanted to be in a band as big as
The Beatles. Fame, fortune, women the whole Rock and Roll
lifestyle. I wanted to write like Dylan, Sing like McCartney and
do it all with Lennon's wit and Harrison's riffs. Not much to ask
for?

Well as the Stones said "You Can't Always Get What You Want"

As I grew older and the dream faded I found that what I missed
most was just making music and hanging with other musicians.

If I can create a song or sound that somebody finds enjoyable
then that is what make me happy now.

So I guess now I play for my own pleasure but the real pleasure is in
sharing music with others.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I wanted to kick @$$ and rock the world. Or at least the US

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Ha... a great thread. As Misanthrope stated, I started simply to rock and roll. That's it. Never crossed my mind to play in front of people. But that changed. Now I want to rock and roll in front of my 3 year (sorry, 3 and a HALF) year old daughter.

Also, the COOLEST thing in the world is playing "row row row your boat" to my 1 year old son and have him start singing along.

But when they go to bed I try my best Alex Lifeson jam session.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It's funny because when I first started out my dreams were more modest than they are now. Basically I just wanted to be able to play a couple of songs on acoustic and maybe just MAYBE be able to write songs one day. Then I took lessons and was introduced by my teacher to the world of blues rock, classic rock and the blues. I got an electric guitar and now I want to be able to play like Clapton, Kossoff, Page, etc but I know that's not possible, not with school and everything else. Just playing their songs (the easier ones) satisfies me for the moment. As for long-term goals I would like to play in a band and play gigs, where I would get to be the cool rock 'n roll chick that plays guitar! No but really I'd just like to write my own songs and perform and cover my favorite artists :D

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I love what i can create out of a six stringed instrument made of wood - music and music pleasing to my ears.Music that feeds the soul and complements my singing.

This wanted me to play guitar and somehow i acquired a restrung lefty guitar for me.Surely i would like to become a musician in future, but presently i have no idea as to how i will do it.Lets see...

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Surely i would like to become a musician in future

Rahul, you are a musician NOW. I have heard your music and you are very good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I think I answered this in the other side, but I'm happy to reiterate.

I listen to a lot of 80's music, it was my time. I still listen to a lot of it, primarily a lot of Love and Rockets. I've always dug their sound and love Daniel Ash's guitar playing. I started to notice all of a sudden a serious desire to play these songs, really savoring the sounds and feeling like omg I have got to learn how to do this NOW. Its like a switch was flipped...not sure how else to explain it. There's also this song by King Diamond called "Insanity." I wish I could have another set of hands so when I do learn this song on acoustic, I could also play the electric part ot it as well. So for the most part, those are my inspirations. :D

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

My dreams were to just learn how to play and write some of my own stuff. I have since added the dream of possibly being in a blues/rock band at some point down the road. Might be a fun way to spend some of those early retirement years, ya know?

I also wanted to jam with other musicians which I do now. I would like to broaden my circle a bit though. The guys I jam with now are great guys, but I wouldn't mind being around a few guys that have "been there, done that" and could share their knowledge with me. It's just so much fun sitting down with some others, guitar in hand, and just jamming.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I'm shocked you're not already in a band Crank-N-Jam!

I'm sure 9/10 would want you. :D

Some of the stuff you come up with is hot! Just go out there and find some people.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Surely i would like to become a musician in future

Rahul, you are a musician NOW. I have heard your music and you are very good.

Short and sweet !

Thanks Wes. I shall definitely carry this as an year end gift. :)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I'm shocked you're not already in a band Crank-N-Jam!

I'm sure 9/10 would want you. :D

Some of the stuff you come up with is hot! Just go out there and find some people.

Very nice of you to say Clazon, but I don't feel I'm good enough to do the band thing (yet). Heck, I still don't even know any songs! I'm also a little "rhythmically challenged" still. Soon enough I'll get something going though. :)

Again, thanks for the kind words!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Heh. If you look back in this thread, you'll see one of my main reasons was to start a band with a friend. Neither of us had played before, but it means you learn and are almost always motivated to improve.

If anything, only being in a band will help you become ready to be in a band. In less than a month, band practice would tighten up any rhythmic inaccuracies.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4