Skip to content
When you first star...

Notifications
Clear all

When you first started playing guitar...what was your dream?

58 Posts
38 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Heh. If you look back in this thread, you'll see one of my main reasons was to start a band with a friend. Neither of us had played before, but it means you learn and are almost always motivated to improve.

If anything, only being in a band will help you become ready to be in a band. In less than a month, band practice would tighten up any rhythmic inaccuracies.

Very true. I know that just jamming with some folks really, really helps a lot as well. I'm still not there, but I'm a lot closer than I was just a year ago.

Keep on rockin'! :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@cringe)
Estimable Member

I started playing because I wanted to somehow release the the cool sounds sounds trapped in a guitar that other people seemed to be able to do so effortlessly. I'm still trying but it seems there is a cosmic conspiracy to deny me that pleasure.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I started playing because I wanted to somehow release the the cool sounds sounds trapped in a guitar that other people seemed to be able to do so effortlessly. I'm still trying but it seems there is a cosmic conspiracy to deny me that pleasure.
The whole cosmos is against you! :lol: :lol:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@cringe)
Estimable Member

It seems like it sometimes.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

When I first started I wanted to be good enough to be in a band. A friend of mine helped me get started but our band never happened. I also wanted to play all my favorite songs from bands like 38 Special and Boston. I know how to play some of them now. Another thing I really wanted to be able to do was just to play with no purpose just play up and down the neck just for fun. I can do that now and well that is mostly all I do, but I need to get back to practicing songs. Finally, every time that I would go to a concert I could not help but imagine the power that the band had over the audience. It would be so amazing to play for a big crowd and be a rock star.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I just wanted to rock out by playing heavy metal like Metallica when I started. Then I wanted to be the first musican in my family, now I just want to have fun playing guitar.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Oh yea...another one of my dreams... :) to be able to play David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb second guitar solo. That's a long ways away of course...but it's a dream nonetheless.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

mine used to be to be able to play simple chord progressions as a rhythm accompaniment to the songs i wanted to write.
now, it's immortality and enough money to buy the world.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Oh yea...another one of my dreams... :) to be able to play David Gilmour's Comfortably Numb second guitar solo. That's a long ways away of course...but it's a dream nonetheless.

Don't worry Kevin, after you get your electric, study some scales and tricks of the trade and you will be playing comfortable numb one day.

Since you have the songs in your mind, your half way to play the song is over.I assure you will play it soon.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Know those overrated guitarists that only play like 4 power chords? I wanna be one of those.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Know those overrated guitarists that only play like 4 power chords? I wanna be one of those.

There are worse things in this world. Being over rated sounds good to me.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@razzlemacher)

When I was a kid back in the late 80s/early 90s my friends and I used to tinker around with guitars etc. I always used to hang out with the "back benchers", the kids that always got bad grades, the perennial flunkies. Turns out I was the only smart one there was amongst us friends always scoring in 80 to 90 percentile range in all exams.

Consequently I went to college and got a job etc. My friends as expected never made it to college and "wasted" their time playing music etc.

And today they are in a band thats airing its own videos on TV in Pakistan, playing huge concerts, raking in money, fame and all that goes with it. Somewhere along the line I moved to the land of the plenty and now that I have enough dineros to be able to afford a guitar thats what I got. I'm playing it nowadays.

I know I can't make it big like my friends did - but I sure can jam with them whenever I visit home and have a blast. It's like jamming with GnR here in USA. Not quite the same thing but still cool enough for my 30 yr old bones.

You can check out some of the videos at:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AH6H0p6JdCA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-aPbznCdf8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NDRt645iDE8

You may not understand the words since they are Urdu but heck music is music.

Plus I'm going to have kids soon and I just adore the idea of singing to my daughter (to be). Yeah I'm weird like that :)

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself - George Bernard Shaw

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I wanted to play guitar back around 1966 or so 60'S ROCK RULED, but I got started in January 1970 with an acoustic ( Grandma Toots showed me some chords and I was off to the races) :D I'm really influenced by a lot of 60's and 70's progressive music and old rock and blues 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4