Clear all

When your buddy gets GAS. . .

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Two months ago, a guy at work bought a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard looking for that "perfect" blues tone. Replaces the stock pickups with a Dimarzio Vintage in the bridge and Seymour Pearly Gates in the Neck. Replaces the plastic nut with a bone nut and upgrades the tuners. Its an ebony guitar so he replaces the cream pickguard, switch ring, and knobs with black so this thing looks ultra sweet. After the electronic and cosmetic changes we got together for a jam session and this thing rocked through my Blues Jr.

Last Saturday we are walking through a music store and he spots a used Mexican Strat with H-S-S configuration and he falls in love. He has decided THIS is the tone he is searching for. On Tuesday he tells me he will sell me the LP for $300 (less than 1/2 what he has in it for a 2 month old guitar). I feel like I am enabling an addict :oops: , but he was going to sell it to me or somebody else for that price. Might as well be me! What a sweet axe.

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

your friend has taste.
so did you buy the Epi?
a good price he offered.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Might be a good idea to stay friends with this guy. You could end up getting a series of good deals.

Unfortunately, the only close friends I have who play guitar (both of them) play lefties, so I'm not likely to gat any cheap castoffs from them (unless they want to upgrade their amp, or something like that)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

your friend has taste.
so did you buy the Epi?
a good price he offered.

Oh I bought it alright! :D I've been playing a Squier Strat that I started out with about 4 month ago. I had it professionally setup and its been a good guitar, but I just couldn't pass up the LP at that price.

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

strat and les paul are very different guitars. I never felt comfortable with the controls on LPs.

but good for you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

When your buddy gets that kind of GAS, stay very, very close and sniff, sniff, the green you will save by letting him do all the upgrade mods. Even if you decide you don't like that Epi, you could still probably sell it for more than you payed for it. I'd just get comfortable with it and keep it, though. I like a variety of guitars and sound tones.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That sounds like a sweet guitar. Congratulations!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I personally would never buy an LP. But for that price I would be willing to be a tad more flexible with my definition of 'never'. Great snatch!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen, why wouldn't you buy an LP?? They are great guitars. :roll:

dhutson, great deal. Now in three months you can buy his Strat. :twisted:

Today at work a co-worker told me about an old Peavey tube amp he has in his closet. He doesn't play, it belonged to his Dad. I asked him to get the model for me, I'm hoping it's a Classic 30. If it is, I'm gonna offer him $100 for it. Yeah.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Good for you!!!

I bought my first electric (a 1982 Epi Spirit) off my friend that needed the money. It's funny because now I'm the one strapped for cash and I'm thinking about selling it back to him.

The part that makes me want to cry, he sold it to me for $300 and gave me a small Peavey amp for free so, I threw him an extra 50 on the side for doing it. Anyway, I've done my research and know the guitar is worth over a thousand dollars BUT!, I promised if I ever get rid of it, it would go back to him. :cry: :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Arjen, why wouldn't you buy an LP?? They are great guitars. :roll:

dhutson, great deal. Now in three months you can buy his Strat. :twisted:

Today at work a co-worker told me about an old Peavey tube amp he has in his closet. He doesn't play, it belonged to his Dad. I asked him to get the model for me, I'm hoping it's a Classic 30. If it is, I'm gonna offer him $100 for it. Yeah.

Good luck Wes, that'd be a nice find!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Arjen, why wouldn't you buy an LP?? They are great guitars.

I'm sure they are. Unfortunately my back doesn't appreciate me putting any stress on it due to a certain incident. As I said, for that price I might try and forget but as it stands I play my hollow, accoustics and el-cheapo guitars that weight as much as a bag of chips. It ain't the guitar that's wrong, it's me. :D

And good luck with the amp!

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Sweet deal on the LP :D and that amp sounds like a good idea.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote