Clear all

Which do you prefer?

28 Posts
25 Users
0 Reactions
(@voodoo-child)
Topic starter  

Acoustic or Electric

I have been teaching myself to play since the beginning of this year through books and the internet. My buddy lent me an acoustic and an electric for which I bought a small amp. I started with the acoustic, but really wanted to play electric (its sexier) 8) . I have come to find that I like the sound of the acoustic over the electric and find the acoustic easier hit chords on. What is your experience with this subject? Which do you prefer when playing at home.

Thanks, Ray

jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I started out on an acoustic as well. I also thought the electric was "sexier". So I had to run out and get one. After I while, I decided I liked the acoustic better. I still play an electric and I like it, but find I reach for the acoustic more...

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Joining the club. Got the acoustic, everybody said it was most versatle to begin with. Then got the electric but when I played everything sounds sloopy as the pickups get everything.

Now I mostly play nylon. It has the sound of my heros and the sound I want to make. Though the praise team leader has me playing acoustic most of the time at church. It holds up to the rock style better.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Started on acoustic, but love to play the electric more. It's easier, IMO (still can't do those barre chords on the acoustic very well).

Love the sounds of the electric through the V-amp2 and into the headphones.

Rarely get out the acoustic anymore, sorry to say.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I prefere the right instrument for the genre I'm playing.

Doing gypsy jazz on an electric just sounds dumb.

Doing hot jazz licks on an accoustic doesn't sound right.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

apples & oranges, it's that way to me at least.
i started on acoustic and i probably work stuff out on it 10x as often but that's mainly because it's just so much more convenient.
i can't see ever giving up either over the other.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I like both, like my acoustic amplified so I can run it through some reverb.

I play electric more because the acoustic is harder on my hands. 40 year old beginner, I've got to treat my hands nice or I get tendonitis.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

apples & oranges, it's that way to me at least.
i started on acoustic and i probably work stuff out on it 10x as often but that's mainly because it's just so much more convenient.
i can't see ever giving up either over the other.

+1 here.
Though if I had to choose, I'd keep the acoustic in a heartbeat.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I started on an electric. I have 16 electrics and 2 acoustics. I only play the acoustic when I have no power. I guess I'm an electric person. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

to me, acoustics allow for really intricate rhythm playing, since a pick will bounce off the heavy strings if you attack them right. electric for me is much more about riffs and leads and sonic painting.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I started on acoustic. Have been playing electric for a while now, but am seriously considering selling all of my electrics and buying one really nice acoustic/electric. I love to fingerpick and in my heart of hearts, acoustic music is my favorite, so I'm definitely leaning that way. I'll let y'all know when I sell my guitars and buy my new one!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Acoustic 99% of the time. Electric when I get on a bending jag.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

to me, acoustics allow for really intricate rhythm playing, since a pick will bounce off the heavy strings if you attack them right. electric for me is much more about riffs and leads and sonic painting.

Sonic painting...thats a cool analogy....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Sonic painting...thats a cool analogy....

Is there a masters degree program for that science?

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

both 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2