Which fingering of ...

Notifications
Clear all

Which fingering of Barred E?

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@nevergoback)

If you've played something really repetitive like "Sweet Jane" where you can get caught doing the same barre chords all night, it's good to be able to switch back and forth so your hand doesn't cramp.

Although the usual wrap chord you don't bother with the low 5th (A string)

http://www.soundclick.com/threeriverscrossing

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have to agree with GT I can't imagine why yo would "need" to use version 2.

dntalb - I'm interested in why you needed version 2 for Purple Haze, it's a song I learned a few months ago with my teacher and I just use version 1.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've used both also, up and down the neck. Just depends on the moment, the song, the next and previous chord/action.

I grew up with barre chords so that 1st picture made perfect sense. But the "thumb over" method holds merit.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@nevergoback)

FWIW, Jimi used wrap chords all the time, including on Purple Haze, probably why alot of people learned it that way.

http://www.soundclick.com/threeriverscrossing

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nevergoback,

I know Jimi used his thumb alot, I don't find that to be particularly comfortable, Jimi did it because he had really long fingers which I don't have so Fig 2 doesn't work well for me.

I haven't had the need to ever use that fingering in any of the songs I play

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I almost always use fingering #1 except for special partial chords. For instance in Smoke on the Water during the chorus a G5 chord is played with this voicing:

G5

e---3i-------
b---3i-------
g---0--------
d---5p-------
a---5r-------
e---3t-------

That open G string is very important to get the correct voicing of this chord. In this case I use my thumb because there is not really a better way to play it.

If you cover All Along the Watchtower and want to do the Hendrix version, he also uses 5 chords. But especially to capture the quick slide up/slide down, it is better to use the thumb wrapped over.

C#5 B5 A5 quick slide up & down
e--------------------------------------------
b---9i------7-----5-----7/---9--7-----------
g---X-------X-----X-----X----X---X-----------
d---11p-----9-----7-----9/--11--9-----------
a---11r-----9-----7-----9/--11--9-----------
e---9t------7-----5-----7/---9--7-----------

So, to get an exact voicing I will use the thumb. But otherwise I like the first fingering. I really do not have large hands anyway, the first fingering is far easier for me.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2