Clear all

Which guitar magazine??

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

My grandaughters school sells mag subscriptions to raise funds for this and that. Last year I ordered Acoustic Guitar but did not enjoy it much. There were however several good articles mixed in with their guitar sales ads. The other mags offered in her sales book are:
1. Guitar One
2. Guitar Player
3. Guitar World

Does anyone get one of these mags on a regular basis, if so what are your impressions, and does any of the above mags slant more to the classic rock genre. Would like a mag with some lessons, tabs etc. for the beginner to intermediate type player.
Thanx for any help
Robbie

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i subscribe to Guitar Player and find it very appeasing. The reviews are useful, i used them when I bought my Squier 51. THe articles are fun, I really enjoy the little articles on guitar mods and vintage gear. They focus alot on mainstream guitarists. Also, i think their lessons are good and fun, and can add a little flavor to your playing.

I enjoy it alot, I just renewed my subscription. I think Guitar One and Guitar World aren't NEARLY as good. If you want a magazine with the emphasis on gear and guitars and how to play them, Guitar Players' the one you want. I feel like there are too many metal artists in Guitar World.

I love Acoustic Guitar, acoustics are my number two musical passion behind U2. But I don't think you can go wrong with guitar player.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

My grandaughters school sells mag subscriptions to raise funds for this and that. Last year I ordered Acoustic Guitar but did not enjoy it much. There were however several good articles mixed in with their guitar sales ads. The other mags offered in her sales book are:
1. Guitar One
2. Guitar Player
3. Guitar World

Does anyone get one of these mags on a regular basis, if so what are your impressions, and does any of the above mags slant more to the classic rock genre. Would like a mag with some lessons, tabs etc. for the beginner to intermediate type player.
Thanx for any help
Robbie

I get Guitar One every month. They cover a wide variety of subjects, have lessons in different genres, and Generally have several good song tabs. IF you spend a little extra you can get a CD with the subscription, of all the lessons and usually one or two of the tabs with the band minus the guitar part.

I generally grab a Guitar World that interests me off the news stand, but feel that it's more geared to advanced players, and gear reviews. (Yes I know they are owned by the same publisher.)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

I'm with U2Bono269. I think all around Guitar Player is hard to beat. I buy Guitar World and Guitar One on occasion, acutally, pretty rarely (I do subscribe to GP and Acoustic Guitar). Seems like GW appeals a bit more to the hard rock guys, but if you like transcriptions, GW and GO seem to have a little more of that. I bought the first GO that came with a CD/CDROM, and that was kind of cool watching a product review, but generally, having the CD isn't that big of deal to me. If you can, check them out at the newstand (though GP is the only one that doens't come wrapped these days).

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I also get Guitar Player. One thing that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet (or I didn't look carefully enough) is that Guitar Player gives subscribers a monthly download of sheet music from Music Notes. The download is free and a nice little bonus.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

that's a huge avatar

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

GP is much improved in recent years -- especially from a lessons standpoint. I think it's a good all around choice. Though admittedly, I usually just read the reviews.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I also get Guitar Player and like it a lot. A friend of mine gives me Guitar One sometimes and it does seem to be geared towards metal and rock (which is why he gives it to me).

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I get a lot of guitar magazines. If students show up early, it gives them something to look at while they wait :)

Guitar One is often metal, but the last one I picked up - September - was "The Rocker's Guide to playing Blazing Country". Yeah, it had a Zeppelin transcription and a Motley Crue one... but it also had Wayne Shorter.

Guitar World is also geared towards rock as a rule. The last one I grabbed of that (also September) has U2, Zep, Soundgarden, the Doors...

Guitar Player has the best lessons of the three, and the most eclectic approach. It's the only one I buy every month. The current issue has Yngwie Malmsteen on the cover, with lessons by Ray Flacke (country), Larry Carlton, Steve Morse (a regular columnist), and a short analysis of Charlie Christian's style. Over the course of a year, you'll find lessons on bluegrass, 7-string, bebop, punk... they do the best all-around job.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Wait, I thought it was McCartney, or is that next month's issue? It's a great article.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I think that's next month's Tim - probably on the newsstands late this week.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx everyone your input has been a big help. Just so you know I am going with Guitar Player this time around. She tells me that I will have other chances for the next five years as this goes on till grade 8 (g)
Robbie

ReplyQuote