Clear all

Which song are you learning right now?

30 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
11.6 K Views
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member

Before, I spent a lot of time learning solos, practicing techniques, doing exercises. Well, these days I have less time to play as I have a bigger family, etc. So, I decided I could learn one song a month, mostly rhythm parts, to play from beginning to end. Some songs would be children songs. This way I:
1) Do play
2) Have fun learning and playing real songs
3) Entertain kids
4) Save time playing the kids once in a while instead of reading them :)
I already started singing along with the guitar (something I couldn't do).

Back to the topic: this month I learn 'I want it all' by Queen. Not a children song, but one of my favorites. I'll learn rhythm only, this should be within my abilities.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I've just started learning the Ventura Highway lesson by Mr Hodge and now I'm going to look up a bunch of songs to learn to play to my two grandchildren, I've been having a ball singing Mary Had a Little Lamb, This Old Man and some of the Sound of Music songs to them, as well as songs like the Banana Boat Song , someone finally likes my singing! I'm an old ham now :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@peterpan)

Well, I won't say learning, but "re-learning' "The Clap" by Steve Howe. After finding a excellent tutorial done by Steve himself on Youtube, with a split screen to seel left and right hand, I got interested again. Then after finding a totally over the top study someone did of the song, in which they literally tabbed out 6 version of the some 9with commentary), I felt i had no excuse about the parts where I couldn't quite hear what Steve was doing.

In truth I have lost of songs that i know, but revisit as my skills improve. But a lot of them are Steve Howe solos, or solo pieces.

ReplyQuote
(@sebastianposch)

I'm learning Celtic Frost's Monotheist album for a week or so (their final album)

Learning all the riffs by ear took me only a day or so, but it's hard to emulate the style of the guitarist Tom Gabriel Fischer. There is some subtle bending going on in almost every note he plays. I'm trying different string gauges (.52 to .56) to see if it helps emulate the sound more closely.

Some parts are originally played on a single string, no power-chords. Almost all of the guitar covers on youtube seem to get this wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@otto6457)

I try to learn a new song every week or two with varying success. Right now I'm trying to learn All Right Wow by Free. Kossoff has always been a favorite of mine

I have a long term project of Ten Words by Satriani. Really struggling with it but I keep working on it.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Learned a couple new songs Back to the Shack - Weezer and My Michelle - GNR.

No paricular reason but I try to learn a song or so a week if possible

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@lancegmusic)
Eminent Member

Writing :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@freakonheels)

I've been working on "Slither" by Velvet Revolver lately. Of course, Slash sets the bar pretty high, so I have to take a break every now and then to keep from getting depressed :D

I'm also kind of working on a metal arrangement of "Mad World." Still not entirely sure how that will turn out, but it's worth a shot I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@jaredluvsmusic)

I've been working on Chop Suey using Chromatik: http://bit.ly/YIM0xX . They have the whole version with TABS, chords, and sheet music, with great solo transcriptions too. Ton of free stuff on there

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I had an audition for entry into the music conservatorium out this-a-way last Monday...so I'm pretty listless waiting for the results and just playing along to the accompaniment I used. My life has sorta gone into neutral for a bit, it seems. Very odd...but okay! :D

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Have a small show next week and need to learn some simple songs: Cocaine, Sharp Dressed Man, Satisfaction, This is Life (George Harrison) and a few others I'm forgetting... Oh brushing up on Day Tripper.

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm working on a piece by Sor (op. 60, no. 2) and Blue Bossa (I'm looking for some new chord voices).

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

What song am I learning right now?

For the band:
Boondocks
Move it on Over
Sharp Dressed Man
You Don't Know What it's Like
Mama Don't Know

. . . and that's just for THIS week. Ask again next week!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Misty by Erroll Garner. I always wanted to play this standard...

ReplyQuote
(@palmmutepam)

"My Life" by The Beatles. I've always liked that little riff and it's such a nice song.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2