Clear all

Which strings do you use?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What guage/brand/price strings do you use?

What do you like about the string gauge you play?

What don't you like about other string gauges?

Are there any benefits to buying a $20.00 box of strings over a $5.00 box?

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Acoustic: 12's/Dean Markley Alchemy strings/12 bucks

Strat: 10's/D'Addario XL's/3.5 bucks

Lighter guage strings are easier to fret, allow for easier bends, more pronounced vibrato, and tend to sound "thinner". I dunno about that personally because I haven't compared string guages because I know I'll probably run into setup issues.

As far as price, generally more expensive strings are going to last longer because that means they're probably coated and will be better protected against acids and oils in your skin.

You can, but you don't have to. It depends on if you like that fresh zingy tone from new strings or not.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

D'Addarios...9's....on all my guitars...I love light strings, you can bend them to infinity and back...although I'm thinking of putting heavier strings, maybe 11's, on an electric and an acoustic for playing slide....

I pay about £16 for a three-pack...(roughly $30)

And these days I tend to change them quite often, I DO like that fresh twangy tone you only get with new strings....

And with regards to the acids and oils in your skin, just give the strings a good rub down with a soft cloth when you've finished playing...it's a good habit to get into, and your strings'll last a lot longer....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Electric: Dean Markley Blue Steel Electric Guitar Strings (CL) (these are coated and GREAT!) Cost $4.99 on sale at Music123

Acoustic: Adamas 1818E Phosphor Bronze Light cost $0.99 on sale at Music123

I am not sure if they still have these on sale (I don't think the Adomas are) anymore but I got a great deal on them. If you buy strings online either look for fre shipping (what I did) or order with something else. I think they are cheaper online. I know Music123 isstill running their free shipping special but only for a short time..

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I like Elixers. They don't SQUEAK. The squeaking drives me crazy.

Local shops sell them for $20, which is why I buy nothing in a local store. For a couple of dollars I would help support my local shop but not DOUBLE.
Musicians friend and other online companies sell them for around $10. I stock up on strings when I am buying other things, so I don't pay shipping just for strings.

I am still experimenting with other brands here and there.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm currently using GHS Boomers 9-42 for SC electric, I've got some 10-46 Ernie Ball's to try on the Washburn with humbuckers (currently has 11's of indeterminate origin) and I use Martin 80/20 Bronze on my Seagull acoustic.

I usually buy through ebay from a relatively local guitar shop (I can't buy for the ebay price in the shop) - a 12 pack of GHS Boomers costs me €45 inc. postage, if I'm too lazy to go and collect them, as are the Martins.

A 9 pack of D'adarrio's would cost me €51 inc. postage - so I'm well supplied, whatever I choose.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

51 Euros? For a set of strings? that's about £36....about $68.....

Some bugger's making a profit.....although at that price, I shouldn't think he'd have too many customers.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I use D'Addario 9-42 on my LP Studio, Fender 9-42 on my Strat and Tele.

A few years back I was in a band that played a lot of the modern down-tuned songs. I would use 11-53 gauge for that. Also had to raise the action a little.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I like D'Addario 10's on my electric and Elixir 11's on my acoustic. The only reason for the 11's on the acoustic is so the feel is not much different between my electrics and acoustic.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyt60)
Eminent Member

Can't beat bronze lights sp on my acoustic. Just can't touch the tone.
I like d'addario lights on my electric

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic,

that's 9 SETS for €51 - i.e €5.66 a set (less than £4). The GHS/Martin's come out at around €3,75 (about £2,50) a set - about half street price

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote