Mmm....

Slothrob, you have exellent taste in guitars! 8) :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

FENDER '69 Thinline Tele Maple

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Funny how things change. Here we have players actually lusting after after a CBS era Fender re-issue.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Hi from a newbie - to this forum - been playing electric guitar for (ouch) 38 years!

I just love my Squier Standard, which my wife bought me new for Christmas 3 years ago. A friend has an American Deluxe Tele, and I have a '78 Strat, so some comparisons are in order.

Finish, hardware - about comparable on the Strat and the Squier - way, way better on my mate's Am DL.

Playability - well, apart from the fact that the Strat's a maple board and the Teles are rosewood, pretty much evens. I honestly find the Squier's neck nicer than any, though not quite as fast as the Strat (did I mention it's maple? Always faster!) and its satin finish is the most comfortable I've ever played on long sessions, though I have to admire the wonderful fretwork and general mojo of the Am DL.

Sound - ah, well. So different ... to stick with the Teles (since I just prefer Tele sounds to Strat) the Am DL has all the twang and spank and sparkle you could ever want, and the S-1 switching does add some extra tones. Just the best country and countrified rock guitar you can buy. BUT the Squier is the better sound for jazz and worship - rich, complex, fluty on the neck pup, snarly on the bridge, and as solid as you like on both. There's a mahogany-like quality to it, almost towards an LP Junior sound, that just captivates me 8)

A note on tonewoods: the Strat and the Am DL are both alder bodies, and the Squier's agathis. Now, YMMV, but I reckon if agathis were scarcer, instead of being about the most plentiful Indonesian (and thereabouts) timber, it'd be right up there with bubinga, koa and all those exotics. The sound is just lovely. IMHO, the Squier Jazz Bass for instance is one of the best-sounding basses Fender have built in recent years.

And then there's the price - 200GBP for a Squier Standard, 900GBP for an Am Deluxe. Go figure! Like the man said, Dogbite, the Tele is the working person's guitar - and the Squiers sell for a working person's price. I honestly wouldn't change mine for anything - in these 3 years it's just become an integral part of my sound. Actually, I guess I better buy a backup one :wink: I'd never replace that sound with another guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

PVtele , liked your post.Welcome to GN and good that you are experienced player so that you can help noobs :lol: like me to enlightment.

Again very welcome and good that you joined before new year :wink:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Hi Rahul - good to meet you!

Glad I discovered this forum - lots of good sense talked here (shame, I'll never really fit in...) and a good range of styles, instruments, ages. Useful as well as fun!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi Rahul - good to meet you!

Glad I discovered this forum - lots of good sense talked here (shame, I'll never really fit in...) and a good range of styles, instruments, ages. Useful as well as fun!

Very very nice forum this is.

Advisory - It might get addictive if you soon do not get out :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Funny how things change. Here we have players actually lusting after after a CBS era Fender re-issue.

Don't make a judgement before you play one... I played a used one at my local guitar center and its been at the top of my GAS list (With a Tokai LP or SG in close second... :wink: )... It's a very sweet guitar. Just has the right "feel" to it IMO... 8)

Plus, 4 bolt neck!!! :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

lots of good sense talked here (shame, I'll never really fit in...) Don't worry, we can toss around nonsense with the best of 'em! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Don't make a judgement before you play one... I played a used one at my local guitar center and its been at the top of my GAS list (With a Tokai LP or SG in close second... :wink: )... It's a very sweet guitar. Just has the right "feel" to it IMO... 8)

Plus, 4 bolt neck!!! :lol:

The original reason was infamously poor quality. I would expect the reissue to be better on that count. BTW, 3-bolt microtilt necks are not necessarily inferior, CBS just didn't know WTF they were doing in production. Leo continued to use the design in early G&Ls, where it worked just fine.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I tried a Master series Squier Chambered Tele with dual humbuckers. Very nice for the money imo, but it's not a 'tele' soundwise.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Which Tele?

This one: [ pic removed ]

Sorry, had to do it! :lol:
Rondo has an Agile Tele that "looks like" this going for $250.
http://www.rondomusic.net/tc730.html

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4