Skip to content
which would be chea...

Notifications
Clear all

which would be cheaper (and any recomendations)

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

im thinking about upgrading my old squire strat, throwing in three stacked humbuckers, but im wondering if it would be cheaper to buy a new guitar? im planning on adding a gk-3 aswell so i can use it with my synth, so £100 must be added in either eventuality.
any help or advice would be much appreciated, and sorry for the commonness of this kind of thread.

This signature is a forgery.

(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I'd get a new axe before I went to the trouble of updating a Squier. Even with new PUs, it won't play any better.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i actually quite like the feel of playing it, maybe im weird :S
i figured out it would cost about £200 for the new pups, there must be a better guitar on the market for that price, i have a warlock as well so i change between the two.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

If you upgrade it and don't like it, you have to switch everything back.

If you upgrade it and like it, you still might want the singles back for that "certain" sound.

If you buy a new one, you can have both sounds at your finger tips in mere seconds.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

looks like a new one would be the sensible way to go, thanks guys

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

i actually quite like the feel of playing it, maybe im weird :S
i figured out it would cost about £200 for the new pups, there must be a better guitar on the market for that price, i have a warlock as well so i change between the two.

Yeah you weirdo, what's wrong with you?? :twisted: :wink:

If you like the way a Squier plays, then buy another, and put humbuckers in it. It may be more cost effective to buy a guitar with humbuckers standard, but it's all about what you like best.

:) Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Well I was going to update my MIM Strat with some new hot pickups. Turns out it was gonna cost me at least $150 and the route I had planned on(Rios or Van Zandts) with a new pickguard and wiring was gonna be around $300. So I decided to look into buying a new guitar. I had never been happy with 3 single coils Pups in my Strat but the guitar is in perfect shape and plays very well so my decision was a tuff one. Finally I decided to look into new guitars. I found one that really fit my needs, plus it was $300 (Schecter Omen 6).

I still plan on putting new pickups in my Strat, I can take my time now. And I won't be without a guitar while I fix my Strat UP. Thats my 2 pennies worth.

Best of Luck!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You may want to consider GFS, they seem to get good reviews here, from pople who have bought them. You can have a custom built Strat pickguard, with choice of colour and choice of pickup for between $135 and $160 assembled, all you have to do is fit it and make the jack and trem earth connections
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsusacushha.html

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

if you are in the Uk (a guess because you used £ not $ ) then try http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/index2.html as they have some cheaper looking pups as well as pre wired scratchplate versions, £100 for 3 PAF style HBs or from £50 for pre wired with 2 humbuckers, plus they'll do custom jobs.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You like the way your Squier Strat feels and plays, but wish it had humbuckers?

Why don't you just buy a Squier Strat with humbuckers?

Squier Standard Double Fat Strat

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

decided in the end im gonna save up for a mexican fatstrat, gonna test out other options first mind. thanks for the help guys.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You may want to consider GFS, they seem to get good reviews here, from pople who have bought them. You can have a custom built Strat pickguard, with choice of colour and choice of pickup for between $135 and $160 assembled, all you have to do is fit it and make the jack and trem earth connections
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsusacushha.html

I put GFS Vintage Single Coils in my Squier and it sounds AWESOME! I too liked the way the Squier played and the new pickups made a HUGE difference.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

The difference is rebuilding guitars is almost as fun as playing them. So keep that in mind.

ReplyQuote