Clear all

who are your influences?

111 Posts
65 Users
0 Likes
18.8 K Views
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'd like to play guitar like Pete Townshend, Alex Lifeson, and George Thorogood. Kind of an odd mix, but there you go.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Kurt Cobain, Travis Meeks, John Lennon, and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm

Richie KOTZEN :lol:

You know, not one single person on this board has ever figured out what a NEZTOK is...

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

Aaron Sprinkle, Denison Witmer, Jack Johnson, Chris Carrabba, Sean O'donnel, and now I am starting to get influenced by old school blues, thanks to jack white

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Jimmy Page! How could I forget Jimmy Page, Banre? But not the Jimmy Page of LZ - more the wonderfully sensitive collaborator with Al Stewart on 'Love Chronicles'. That album more than any other showed me the possibilities of acoustic & electric guitars working together ... Respect!

Love Chronicles...interesting. when did that come out?
is it old?

Yes, pretty old, Dogbite! UK CBS 1969, USA Epic 1970 - also featured Richard Thompson and Ashley Hutchins ... lyrically pretty much of its time, but the music's timeless!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Jimmy Page! How could I forget Jimmy Page, Banre? But not the Jimmy Page of LZ - more the wonderfully sensitive collaborator with Al Stewart on 'Love Chronicles'. That album more than any other showed me the possibilities of acoustic & electric guitars working together ... Respect!

is it old?

Yes, pretty old, Dogbite! UK CBS 1969, USA Epic 1970 - also featured Richard Thompson and Ashley Hutchins ... lyrically pretty much of its time, but the music's timeless!

whoa...flashback time.

I seem to remember listening but that was a long time ago and many acid trips in between.

I doubt there is a CD reissue as Love Chronicles could be somewhat obscure.
Richard Thompson was in Fairport Convention around that time.
I am surprised Sandy Denny was not included, as Pagey used her an an album for a vocal.

thanks for the memories.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Angus Young has got to be the main influence. I like me some catchy tunes! :)

Whether I want to admit it or not, a lot of the 80's metal. I grew up listening to that stuff and it still has a soft spot in my heart. I find myself cranking up the gain and doing power chord runs and trying to sound like Poison or something. :-)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Whether I want to admit it or not, a lot of the 80's metal. I grew up listening to that stuff and it still has a soft spot in my heart. I find myself cranking up the gain and doing power chord runs and trying to sound like Poison or something. :-)

Jason

Uh Oh - that makes two references to Poison (now 3) in one thread...

We better start talking about Fall Out Boy! :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

I noticed a few players made reference to Trey Anastasio. I picked up the newest edition of Acoustic Guitar World and there is an article in it about Trey. I haven't had a chance to read that article but thought I would share with you in case you wanted to read the latest about him.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Duane Allman, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Derek Trucks, George Harrison, etc. etc.

Other than that, probably all the classic rock and blues guys stated in this thread....

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Yoda and Foghorn Leghorn 8)

ok, i was kidding. but i bet Yoda could jam :lol:

seriously tho, Neil Young, Jimmy Page, EC, Alex Zivojinovich (Lifeson),
Tommy Iommi, David Gilmore, George Harrison, Jerry Garcia, Glen Campbell, many others.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Jason

I think that is my point in this thread....meaning, music that seeped into us when we were young and growing; before we experienced too much of (ahem) adult life.

props dude.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

is it old?

whoa...flashback time.

I seem to remember listening but that was a long time ago and many acid trips in between.

I doubt there is a CD reissue as Love Chronicles could be somewhat obscure.
Richard Thompson was in Fairport Convention around that time.
I am surprised Sandy Denny was not included, as Pagey used her an an album for a vocal.

thanks for the memories.

I have some of the same problems, Dogbite :wink: but this is the lineup (no Denny, I fear - I remember hearing her live at the Horseshoe Bar in Leicester Sq (London) many times, with Jansch, Renbourne et al. - quite a girl!):

Al Stewart: vocal, guitar
"Mervyn Prestwick" (Richard Thompson):guitar
Jimmy Page: guitar
"Simon Breckenridge" (Simon Nicol):guitar
Ashley Hutchings: bass
Brian Odgers: bass
Brian Brocklehurst: bass
"Martyn Francis" (Martin Lamble): drums
Harvey Burns" drums
Phil Phillips: organ
Stephen Gray: organ

But the overwhelming inpression is of the interplay of Page's & Stewart's guitars - Jimmy is using his old Tele, and produces THE classic Tele neck pup sound - through his old Supro 1x12 I believe. Certainly it's far more tweedy than any sound I ever managed to produce with an AC30, which was the other amp he receorded the Tele through.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Jimmy Page, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Ani DiFranco, Tony Iommi, Dave Mustaine, Dimebag Darrell Abbott, Buckethead, Dave Murray, Janick Gers, Alexi Laiho, Rhandy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde, Kirk Hammett, and James Hetfield.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You know, not one single person on this board has ever figured out what a NEZTOK is...

NEZTOK is KOTZEN spelt backwards.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

NEZTOK is KOTZEN spelt backwards.

And the prize for the most obvious statement goes to OWA. :wink:

My main influences are:

Clapton
Allman
Peter Green
Mike Bloomfield
BB King
Santana
Dickey Betts
Derek Trucks

ReplyQuote